Forums Latest Members

Should I buy this Omega Constellation 168.0025 pie-pan, dual colored dial

1. Fraist Sep 18, 2018

Recently I've stumbled upon a dual colored & pie-pan dial omega Constellation 168.0025 below:
    Front:
    IMG-20180828-WA0032.jpg

Back:
    IMG-20180828-WA0031.jpg

Now here are some of my observations regarding the timepiece:
    Plus:
    A dual colored pie pan dial 168.0025 is quite rare,
    Its not overly polished, you can see the " water proof " font on the back (quite hard to see caused by bad lighting in the photo)
    Dial,case and crown seemed to be correct and original (CMIIW). Dial seemed to have a vertical grain which indicates originality and not repainted.

Minus:
    Quite a lot of spots (is it rust?) on the upper and lower part of the dial
    The seller cant provide a movement photo due to it being a monocoque/unishell watch and the seller not having the proper tool (omega tool 105) to disassemble the watch. So I'm basically buying a cat in a bag and playing roullete regarding the movement condition.

The seller is asking for us$900 but is negotiable.
    Is the price inquired a decent deal or am i setting myself up for a bust?
    Is there any other condition of the watch that I missed?

If I decided to buy it,I'm probably gonna send it to a reputable watchmaker that can seevice a monocoque watch and can lightly clean the spots on the dial.

Thank you for the space and time,
    Cheers

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 18, 2018

These dials do come up fairly regularly so I wouldn’t call them rare.
    This ref of watch is a bit Marmite and hasn’t really found traction in the collectors market yet.
    Even in good condition I would think that $900 is a strong price - in this condition it would be a definite no for me.
    The dial looks to have suffered from moisture intrusion - so you’d be taking a chance with the movement.
    With a bit of patience I’d think you’d find a mint one for that kind of money.
    Hope that helps.

Noddyman, ConElPueblo and cristos71 like this.
  3. sdre Sep 18, 2018

2 Things that jumps out at me.

1) Wrong Crown
    2) Case looks wrong?

I can't be sure but these 2 things stand out to me

I'm not familiar with these 2 tone Connies, but the case looks strange. Almost like a Skin Diver style.

4. Hippocampus Sep 19, 2018

If I saw this as an eBay no reserve auction I’d expect it to go around the $650-700 neighborhood in the condition it’s in. The monocoque cases don’t demand the highest price... while the spotting of the dial might indicate moisture intrusion (though the spotting is uniform and attractive), it was during this time that Omega used black paint instead of onyx inlay on some dial markers (like on this model), and the paint has a tendency to deteriorate... it’s a common occurrence but it detracts from the dial imo

As you said the movement will be sight unseen, and while I probably wouldn’t expect a total disaster in there I’d leave a couple hundred dollar cushion in the budget for an overhaul.

Not a huge collector premium piece there but if you’re in love with it or it fills a spot in a larger collection, I’d say negotiate it down but $900 is pretty steep to me on that.

Noddyman likes this.
  5. 88cut Sep 19, 2018

I own one of these ( except with an all white dial), case and crown look fine to me but I'd have to see clearer pictures to be 100%.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 19, 2018

Watch looks all correct to me. That dial is less common than the all silver, but the condition is an issue.

You need to get it into a qualified watchmaker to give it an inspection at the very least.
    gatorcpa

7. JohnSteed Sep 19, 2018

+ 1 as dial may hint of more wear (or moisture) inside?

8. cristos71 Sep 20, 2018

The dial looks very shabby to me, and for that reason alone I'd discard it as a potential buy straight away.

9. Fraist Sep 20, 2018

I see,so this variant usually pops up on the market regularly. I would take your advice to wait for a better condition timepiece. Thank you.

Thanks for the input guys.

Nice info regarding the history of this watch model. I agree,the monocoque doesn't really attract high price and not really sought after. I actually like the two toned dial but after the advice given here (regarding condition of the dial and possibility of water ingress) I tend to wait for a better condition watch.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, The dial may indicate a possible moisture ingress with a possibility that moisture has also seeped into the movement. Guess I'll have to wait for a better specimen.

Thanks for the input,definitely staying away from this one until a better one pops up on the market.