Forums Latest Members

Should I buy it? Omega SMPc 300m gray dial

1. FrequentTrain Sep 11, 2020

I have the opportunity to buy a professionally verified pre-owned SMPc for $2,600 (tax included) that is virtually brand new. It includes a full set except the warranty card.

I’m a big fan of the new Seamasters. My preference (only from looking at photos and videos) is for the blue dial or sedna black dial I think although I may just consider adding blue rubber to this one since it seems that people say it’s more stunning in person. Appreciate anyone’s thoughts and need to let the seller know shortly.

FE493D99-6B8F-4169-8D41-B8596BB77237.png
    StudebakerHawk and janice&fred like this.
  2. janice&fred Sep 11, 2020

I think that's very reasonable for that watch. The grey dial is very interesting.

3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Sep 11, 2020

If you really want the blue or black accept no substitute.

Having said that,do you need to see this one ‘live’ to be certain?

FrequentTrain likes this.
  4. FrequentTrain Sep 11, 2020

Yes. I think on the blue rubber strap, it may be even more appealing and versatile than the other two I mentioned. The blue of course is somewhat common (but is a handsome piece) and the two tone is a bit dressed up and some may say is a rose gold yachtmaster imitator. This one I feel would look good with anything short of a tux and probably fine with a tux on the bracelet. It’s also a combination that I haven’t seen elsewhere (blue bezel, gray sunburst dial, blue hands) that is somewhat of “its own thing.”

I think the price is probably 500-1,000 below market.

Edited Sep 11, 2020
  5. jaguar11 Sep 11, 2020

I do like the dial but if your heart was really set on blue or black hang on and keep looking.

6. Meme-Dweller Sep 11, 2020

Price is a little sketchy. Hope you get to see real photos of it first instead of stock photos for a pre-owned watch which is unacceptable and just lazy.

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. FrequentTrain Sep 11, 2020

CC1BF2FC-EEEC-469F-8E46-ADEE219DD556.jpeg
  8. FrequentTrain Sep 11, 2020

Wholly agreed. It’s from StockX so kind of their whole schtick - post your watch quickly, they check authenticity and conditions within spec. The seller must have thought that they had a whole set and was missing the warranty card so thus I asked for more info. and photos. Passed inspection.

9. mjb Sep 11, 2020

It's a good price, and looks good in that one pic (I assume the clasp is comparable to what we can see of the bracelet).

Only you can decide if the grey is for you. I have that watch in blue. I would also own it in black. But that's me.

10. Meme-Dweller Sep 11, 2020

why is it pre-owned if it still has stickers on the bracelet?

11. Twocats Married... with children Sep 11, 2020

Well spotted :thumbsup: the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up now.

12. mjb Sep 11, 2020

Well, I spotted that too, but just because it has stickers doesn't mean that it's not pre-owned. It just means that they didn't remove the stickers. Or they bought new stickers.

New means it has never been sold to anyone. Pre-owned but unworn might be a better description.

13. Meme-Dweller Sep 11, 2020

Well if they removed the bracelet and wore it on something else, it may look like that. If you wear it with the stickers on, they will start peeling off on their own fairly quickly.

Ask for movement pictures!!

14. boraxman Sep 12, 2020

I'd sport that watch - especially for the price.

FrequentTrain likes this.
  15. gbesq Sep 12, 2020

Very good price for that watch.

16. FrequentTrain Sep 12, 2020

Good thought. There is a return period so will both look at it and probably have a watchmaker
    Think I’ll go for it and see about finding a blue rubber strap. Do ADs offer discounts on accessories. I think I saw that the rubber strap is $500 without a buckle.

17. gbesq Sep 12, 2020

If you were buying the watch at an AD you could likely negotiate a discount on a strap. As a stand-alone item, however, I doubt that most ADs would be flexible on the price of a strap.

18. FrequentTrain Sep 12, 2020

Seems like a ridiculous amount for a rubber strap.

19. greyfox422 Sep 12, 2020

It looks like a great deal. StockX talks a big game about authenticity. A follow up if/after you buy would be awesome.

20. FrequentTrain Sep 12, 2020

Will do.

I’ve bought a few watches from them. The biggest issues I’ve had is: (a) often purchases from them will be flagged for fraud and then the sale doesn’t go through at all and it winds up selling to someone else before you can call your cc company and authorize, and (b) sometimes watches are supposed to be full sets but then something is missing (this case but the asked if I wanted to proceed). They say that they check accuracy to be within spec but I’m not sure whose specs those are to. So usually I check the accuracy and authenticity upon receiving a watch from them. It’s a decent place to buy but not without issue.