Forums Latest Members
  1. DJP Feb 9, 2013

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but having just been given this watch as a birthday present I am beginning a learning experience.

Would a '70's watch like this have lume? (I have a vague recollection as a boy of maybe a Timex glowing in the dark!), and if it did, is it reasonable to expect it to still work?

Having taken a photo and zoomed in it looks like there is lume, but I'm not sure. I've only had the watch since yesterday and it certainly didn't glow last night, but then it hasn't been exposed to much light recently, I don't think.

Again, if this is a foolish question I apologise but we all started learning somewhere!

Thanks.

face.JPG

2. Wheels Feb 9, 2013

Not a foolish question, never think that around here! Yes your watch has Lume at the indices and in the hands. Is it meant to? Probably not judging by the fact that there is no T before or after Swiss Made. It was probably added later to the dial and the hands changed. No big deal as the watch was a gift IIRC from your previous thread.
    Onto the reason for it not glowing. Lume ages and becomes less phosphorescent as it does so. If you hold a bright torch directly on the face for 30 sec or so, it will glow but will likely only last an hour or so. That's just the way it is.
    If you want it to glow, given that your dial has already been modified, you could get a replacement handset and get the dial relumed. Ordinarily I wouldn't advocate this but, as I said, the dial has already been modified.

3. DJP Feb 9, 2013

Thank you for the prompt response and the information. Not that I am concerned about its monetary value particularly, but does this modification in some way devalue its authenticity and Omega pedigree?

Thanks.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Slightly but not massively