Forums Latest Members
  1. turbo_muc Mar 4, 2018

Is there anything special to consider?

Thought I can just press out the pins with a pin removal tool.

But the pin (or the tooltip) seem to short to be pressed out ::confused2::

IMG_5800.JPG
  2. wsfarrell Mar 4, 2018

I've tried several of those press tools, and they're pretty much useless. Much better to use a punch toolPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network like this. The pins tend to get corroded and frozen in place, and it takes a sharp rap to start them out; gradual pressure often won't do it.

fskywalker and turbo_muc like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2018

I believe these have screwed links.

4. turbo_muc Mar 4, 2018

There was a bit dirt in the holes of the links but I washed it clean, used a loupe but could not see any screw (its 2-3 mm inside). It Looks more like a pin.

fskywalker likes this.
  5. turbo_muc Mar 4, 2018

thanks @wsfarrell . Just ordered a proper punch tool :thumbsup:

fskywalker likes this.
  6. wsfarrell Mar 4, 2018

@X350 XJR knows his stuff. You might want to stick a small screwdriver in there and probe for a slot before you start hammering. (And it's a good excuse to get a nice set of jeweler's screwdrivers.)

fskywalker likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2018

So there is another possibility, short spring-bars. This is how the BORs are done.

A simple pin would come to the edge of the link.

IMG_2110.jpg

8. turbo_muc Mar 5, 2018

@X350 XJR Yes, it feels like springbars (at least in 2 of the 4 holes but the other might be corroded).

Still a challenge. Never before struggled with a bracelet that much. Does not work if I press from one side and try shove it out to the side and does not work from both sides - seems that with the five pieces of the bracelet and my pressing tools always something is blocking :mad:

Cheers, Thomas

fskywalker likes this.
  9. turbo_muc Mar 6, 2018

So I can confirm that it is springbars for the 1098 bracelet.

I would like to give all searching OFs some guidance on how to best dismount links but it seems that it is just luck and patience. I pushed from one side,from two sides, kept nagging with my third hand :D all in all this ::censored:: took at least two hours, one side was faster because the springbars were so corroded that they got bust. In the end only WD 40 helped to get the bracelet in place again.

Anyway, if anyone needs mental Support for this work, just PM me :cool:

Now I just have to find the correct 540 end links ::confused2::

Thanks @X350 XJR and @wsfarrell for your support.

Cheers, Thomas

gliederwechsel.jpg
  10. turbo_muc Mar 7, 2018

Ok, I recapped today (it was a bit too late yesterday :coffee:) and would like to give anyone interested a guideline on how I managed to get the links back in. Again, as I was too tired and frustrated yesterday :mad: I did not make any photos of the "progress" so I tried to illustrate with a small graphic which is hopefully kind of understandable.

As outlined above, I have no real recommendation of how to get the springbars out so the explanation below focuses on getting it back in:

1. Turn the small polished 2nd and 4th link (red circles) up in a 90 degree angle.
    2. Place the third (middle) link (blue rectangle) in the middle.
    3.Push the springbar (green) through links 2, 3 and 4 so that only the movable ends of the springbar look out on each side.
    4. Press the combination of links and springbar back in links 1 and 5. This sounds easier as it is because if you press in the springbar on one side it slightly pops out on the other side and it is difficult to use the springbar tool to get it back in on the second side because there is no real gap between the single links. Still it will probably only work going from one side to the other. I only managed to squeeze it back in using WD 40 lube.

Its probably best to do this with the bracelet lying on solid ground, however, depending on how lose the links are they can certainly fall down from the 90 degree position (first step). I also tried putting it sideways in a link removal form but then certainly in step 3 the springbar easily slips through.

And - in contrast to the image below - I recommend working on the backside of the bracelet in order to avoid scratches on the front when pressing the links back in (step 4).

I hope this helps anyone to save some time. Give me a note if you mange to shorten the bracelet by two links in less than 2 hours :cool:

Best, Thomas

schliesse.JPG
  11. Watchguild Mar 7, 2018

Well detailed reply, well done.

turbo_muc and fskywalker like this.
  12. fskywalker Jan 4, 2019

I adjusted the size of mine today (removed 2 links) in just like 5 minutes before finding this thread, so guess was lucky! First time see tiny spring bars used on bracelet links!

IMG_2277.jpeg

Edited Jan 5, 2019
    turbo_muc likes this.
  13. flqt-9000 Jan 5, 2019

Is guide valid also for the 1116?

fskywalker likes this.
  14. n-theory Jan 5, 2019

I was wondering the same thing.

fskywalker likes this.
  15. inchpincher Has your missing inches Jun 7, 2020

I’ve tried twice and failed at these fiddly links but today I was determined. Just wanted to add some more pictures to @turbo_muc great post to show where the spring bars pop out because I was trying to pull the bracelet apart whereas it really needed a twist - in hindsight I would have preferred to perform the removal and insertion on the reverse of the bracelet to prevent any scratches. A quick polywatch and I can finally start properly wearing this F300 I’ve had for two years without it sliding around my wrist.

76651741-4131-466A-B6C8-520129AD35BE.jpeg 16BD20BE-8EEE-459A-AC7B-A856ED6533A0.jpeg 9B897A0C-9E9E-4994-8893-4F21A29CAC01.jpeg 57E12B2C-A48D-4C8A-A78A-522FD9BE5258.jpeg
    zoohannover, fskywalker and turbo_muc like this.
  16. turbo_muc Jun 7, 2020

Thanks @inchpincher ! This is very helpful for better visualization of this difficult task. This rainy weekend is perfect for such a fiddly undertaking - still hope that I do not have to do it again in the next time ;)

Your F300 looks great with the bracelet! Crisp case :thumbsup:

inchpincher likes this.
  17. zoohannover Jun 7, 2020

Thanks for posting!
    That is really a tricky work to shorten this nice bracelet!
    I think 1098, 1116, 1117, 1118 and 1159 share the same construction. All spring bars.
    (The brick bracelet ref. 1040 for the c-shape Constellation has spring bars as well.)

IMG_0039 2.jpg

Edited Jun 8, 2020
    inchpincher and turbo_muc like this.
  18. vibe Jun 8, 2020

I just bent the center links on mine a while back to remove them like you would on a Rolex folded link. The bars in mine were really nasty and fell apart,

19. OneTwo May 18, 2022

Bringing this one out of retirement, but just wanted to say thanks to @turbo_muc for starting this one and to @inchpincher for the follow up. I'm going to be resizing my 1098 this weekend and these post were really helpful to understand the process involved.

20. inchpincher Has your missing inches May 19, 2022

Good luck, it’s one of those jobs where you quickly run out of hands.