Forums Latest Members

Shortening 1125 bracelet/ other bracelets that have no more removable links

1. josephgsy Jul 24, 2017

Hey guys! wanted some input before i decide to go ahead with it. Recently i've got my hands on a 1125 bracelet that i intend to use, but after removing the removable links, as well as shortening it to the shortest possible length from the adjustment holes on the clasp, it's still way too long for me. :(

IMG_8509.JPG

I have half a mind to pry open the links and remove a couple of them before bending it back shut. seems like it's the only possible way for me to shorten the bracelet any further, anybody tried this before?

any opinons/ comments/ advice?

IMG_8510.JPG IMG_8511.JPG

2. josephgsy Jul 24, 2017

hope i can get some advice from the more experienced guys before i do something stupid :confused:

3. perks713 Jul 24, 2017

Gotta start working out those wrists till it fits.

4. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 24, 2017

I have half a mind to pry open the links and remove a couple of them before bending it back shut. seems like it's the only possible way for me to shorten the bracelet any further, anybody tried this before?

I wouldn't go rushing into that until you know for sure it will work. I started looking into doing that with an 1171 bracelet until I managed to find a couple of posts where people had tried it and were less than happy with the results, in that instance the links were a far tougher construction thatn they appeared.

josephgsy likes this.
  5. KJH666 Jul 24, 2017

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has done this. One thing that strikes me is how easy it would be to scratch or damage the links if you just pile in with screw drivers and pliers. You could always mask the ends with tape before doing anything.

josephgsy likes this.
  6. wsfarrell Jul 24, 2017

I've done this on a similar bracelet (sorry, it's sold, no pics). Easy enough to get a link open---I use a Bergeon caseback tool. Harder to get it closed---I have a couple of thin, wide, brass-jawed pliers. The end result is okay, but it will never look original.

josephgsy likes this.
  7. josephgsy Jul 25, 2017

how so?

8. josephgsy Jul 25, 2017

thanks for all the input so far, seems like i will hold off doing anything for now! keep them advice coming! ;)

9. KJH666 Jul 25, 2017

My interest is because I will soon have to attach the closed link below to the end of a bracelet and close it again. This will be the piece that the spring bar goes through to attach it to the endlink and the Watch head.

I was thinking gently open with a flat head screw driver with some padding over the end to avoid metal on metal and when in place close with pliers, again with the ends padded to avoid the same metal contact.

If anyone can suggest a better way I would be most grateful.

IMG_3929.JPG
  10. josephgsy Jul 25, 2017

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't that mean you'd be opening up the last link that attaches to the end link? what would the rationale be behind that, i was thinking of starting from the smaller links nearest to the buckle

11. speedamatuer Jul 25, 2017

I've done this with a different bracelet (1181) - it was tough to get the link apart as the gap was very tight and the metal was harder to bend than expected. Getting the link back together was even tougher, and you're almost guaranteed for it to end up with the link slightly bent in a wrong direction. Having said that I don't regret doing it at all, and the curve on the link doesn't bother me when I'm wearing it.

12. KJH666 Jul 25, 2017

I clearly am looking to do something different to you. My issue is connecting the bracelet to the endlink, thus enabling the springbar to go through. If you look at the first photo everything is correct as it should be, but on the second pic the central link piece is missing. The last two pics are the front and back of the central link piece that needs attaching.

I appreciate that this is a slightly different job to just adding or removing links.

IMG_3916.JPG IMG_3917.JPG IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3930.JPG
  13. noiseboyuk Jul 25, 2017

I think I would be tempted to use a Dremmel tool with the cutting blade to cut through the extremities of the visible 'bar'.
    Once the visible bar was cut off, I suspect it would be relatively easy to continuously twist and bend the opposite ends of the links until the connecting bar breaks.

14. josephgsy Jul 25, 2017

Ah that explains. Think I saw your post on this on another thread as well. How did that work out for you in the end?

15. KJH666 Jul 26, 2017

Haven't done it yet. Someone is sending me the central link piece, which hasn't arrived yet.

Will update once I have had a go.

16. TNTwatch Jul 26, 2017

This bracelet tapers with all those non-removable links so even if you manage to remove some of those non-removable links on the long side, first: if you remove the smaller links, it would not fit into the clasp cover defeating your purpose, and second: it would look jagged, out-of-taper if you remove the bigger links. Tough luck :)

josephgsy likes this.
  17. josephgsy Jul 30, 2017

oh boy, i really really wanna use the 1125 bracelet :confused::confused:

18. TNTwatch Jul 30, 2017

Actually you can try removing the smallest non-removable link, one at each end. It may work for you, but the connecting pieces will more than likely not look the same anymore though and will affect sale value later on.

josephgsy likes this.
  19. josephgsy Jul 30, 2017

any recommendations or advice on the safest way to get them off?

20. TNTwatch Jul 30, 2017

Best advice would be to avoid making any damages while doing so :D:p

bhove likes this.