Forums Latest Members
  1. wwhntr Sep 25, 2015

Edited Sep 25, 2015
    blubarb, Buckeyes#1 and oddboy like this.
  2. leetse2 Sep 26, 2015

I was wondering if someone here snagged it.

3. WatchVaultNYC Sep 26, 2015

wow

4. blubarb Sep 26, 2015

Can't be lucky everyday when it comes to the Bay of Evil. :) So the seller thought it was a Seamaster and you spotted it as a Speedy.

Hmmmm? Something fishy about it? Maybe, maybe not...but if it's too good to be true...That's how I would look at it :)

Edited Sep 26, 2015
  5. wwhntr Sep 26, 2015

Don't think in this case "too good to be true" applied. Believe seller just didn't pay attention, was more familiar with Seamaster model, or just didn't know what they had. (Could have picked up at yard/estate sale for almost nothing.) For example, I picked up a 321 Speedy recently which was also described as a Seamaster, but it was nearly the deal this buyer got!

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 26, 2015

I think the straight writing casebacks are nicer if you can actually read the writing. :)

wwhntr and blubarb like this.
  7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 26, 2015

Was that the 145.012-67 "Seamaster" that sold on EBay a few days ago?

8. blubarb Sep 26, 2015

True...true..I've done the same myself. Haha...this is where we need someone to invent a facetious font. This would be my humour at assuaging my disappointment of a loss in this manner by masking it in cynicism. However, and on a more pertinent note, I think it's a poor example of this reference. I understand and appreciate others might find its condition attractive even desirable, but I do not. Personally, and not to deprecate your view in any way, I don't feel that anyone missed the "deal of the year" here, in fact,far from it. Of course If you like that kind of condition then I think you should duly feel that you have missed a fair price. But, In my opinion, there are better examples for sale. I've a few and all purchased for fair prices. Anyway I am not one to be incited to act quickly for fear of missing out, especially if there are no clear photos of the movement, the inside case back, the case back itself and the movement number. It just doesnt work for me. To be clear, I have no reason to believe it is not what it purports to be. I mean the bezel, the dial and the case looks correct, but other experienced members can set me straight on that. But for me, I defer as always to Spacefruit's number one rule: firstly know what it is you are looking at. i just don't know here other than trusting my inadequate knowledge. I mean, there might be a very sweet cal 861 under the hood or maybe, just maybe a very sweet Seagull movement with a lovely plastic spacer. Again, personally, I wouldn't touch it or even be tempted to act until I know what I am looking at - unless I was a gambler, and I'm far from that. Of course that means all the "deals of the year" go to other guys, but I'm okay with that because I say if it's too good to be true then it probably is. :)

Cheers
    J

gemini4 likes this.
  9. wwhntr Sep 26, 2015

I'm not sure if original writing was baked enamel, but If you want the writing to be black it's an easy fix. Make sure you clean case back then use some black testors model paint to fill in the writing. I've used a toothpick for a brush, allow to dry, then used edge of credit card to remove excess paint. If paint has dried good it will stay in writing when you remove excess paint.

10. wwhntr Sep 26, 2015

IMHO I've found the risk at that price is worth taking, especially including the protection eBay has given me. Just my experience, but I've come out the winner 99% of the time on situations like this. Still sorry I missed it!

oddboy likes this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 26, 2015

I would have been all over it had I seen it. There's empty cases on ebay selling for more.

watchyouwant and wwhntr like this.
  12. wwhntr Sep 26, 2015

I'll second that! I've not been able to buy any 861 in running condition with bracelet for less than $1500-1700 in the last 2-4 years!

13. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 26, 2015

I agree. On Craigslist I'd be leery and wouldn't bother but on eBay it would be pretty low risk. I wish I would have seen this one.

Mark020 and blubarb like this.
  14. blubarb Sep 26, 2015

Haha...yes, definitely true, that with the buyer protection that eBay and PayPal arguably offers, the risk of a financial loss is certainly minimised. It's a brave new world alright. Of course, I am always prepared to modify my thinking but maybe not so much my risk. I must admit though, and on the positive side, that buying the seller first is a good axiom, and this seller looked ok after a bit of research. Anyway good luck to you wwhntr and I truly hope you snag another bargain, if I don't beat you to it :)

15. blubarb Sep 26, 2015

16. wwhntr Sep 26, 2015

I missed it by seconds! It was available when I hit buy now button, I logged into PayPal asap, then when I clicked on pay now it was gone!:(

17. erpin9 Sep 27, 2015

That's a great bargain and the speedy just require some cosmetic work to make it presentable again.