Forums Latest Members

Shopping for watches at The Goodwill?

1. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

A colleague showed me a Cartier his wife bought him while she was at The Goodwill a few weeks ago. Last year there was a story about a guy who found a watch at a Goodwill store that turned out to be worth $35k. It has never crossed my mind to consider those stores for a place to find pre-owned luxury watches. Has anyone considered The Goodwill or like stores to troll for watches?

i20rider likes this.
  2. abrod520 Aug 11, 2016

That guy who found the Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Alarm at Goodwill is our very own @i20rider who may or may not be willing to share his secrets!

I think after that story broke there's probably a lot more awareness about the possibility of finding watches there, both on the part of collectors as well as Goodwill.

i20rider and Spy like this.
  3. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

Wow! I knew the guy in the story had to be knowledgeable to identify the watch, but I had no idea he was one of ours.

If he is willing to, I would like to hear his thoughts. Thanks abrod520!

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 11, 2016

i20rider, tyrantlizardrex and Spy like this.
  5. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

I just went to those threads. Sweet fancy Moses!!

6. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

Goodwill has been ruined for me. They had to change there policy on inspection for jewellery. I hate to say it but I ruend it for everyone. But all in all a great experience. My knowledge has been increased 10fold I have met alot of fantastic people. And my appreciation for the industry is higher than its ever been.

I do my best to educate myself. Bc in the vintage world that's your only advantage. I hit local antique malls. "the ones with rent booths " not mom and pop stores . "They generally know what they have "

I'm always on Craigslist, offerup. Lego and all the sale aps.

nurseford25, Giff2577, Spy and 2 others like this.
  7. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

Since then I have picked up alot of nice pieces for next to nothing. I love the hunt. I just wish we had nice fleemarkets out in az

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 11, 2016

You did ruin Goodwill! But you did it in style.

They seem to sell watches only through on-line auction now, and the word is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nurseford25 and Perseus like this.
  9. chickenman26 Aug 11, 2016

Shortly after your story broke, my wife started dragging me to every Goodwill in The Valley, from Goodyear to Apache Junction. Nothing but cheap quartz junk. Like MMMD, I found Goodwill's auctions, and they definitely have some more knowledgeable folks looking at those donated watches before offering them.

10. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

I am looking at their site now. Blast!

11. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

Their knowledge is still a little rusty. Correct me if I am wrong, but that watch is mechanical, right?
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Omega-Seamaster-14K-Gold-Filled-Watch-32231349.html
    Untitled.png

12. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

Spy likes this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 11, 2016

I have never been lucky at looking for watches at the good will. However in one resale store I have picked up a patek & v/c for next to nothing. They were in outstanding condition. The watches were in a glass counter one was $125 the other $150.

I told the clerk I will take them both. The clerk handed me the watches and told me to go into the check out line. As I was standing in line a old lady behind me asked if she may see one of the watches. I figured no harm no foul. I handed her the V/C the old bag started screaming do you know what that watch is worth. She tried to kill the sale.

I knew the manager of the store when I reached the cash register the manager was at the register. She smiled and said to me Well Voere looks like you just made a good deal. The manager rang the purchase up and I was on my way. PS Do not show your find to old ladies. That old bat was as close to a con artist as you can get

While I was getting into my car the old lady came up and asked me do you want to sell those watches. I just smiled and flipped her off and gave her a few choice words that started with an F

14. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

My stomach dropped when reading this. Wow. I realy felt like I was there. Haha I'm glad it worked out

Spy and voere like this.
  15. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

You should have said "Look over there! A Shuffleboard!"

voere and i20rider like this.
  16. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

The real question is. What would you have done if she didn't want to give it back.

Spy likes this.
  17. Spy You know my name. Aug 11, 2016

Carry a bottle of Liquid Ass. It always sends them away.

i20rider and voere like this.
  18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 11, 2016

Probably knocked her out just kidding the clerk gave me a sales slip to have the manager ring up the purchase price of the watches up so the old bag would have never made it out of the store

Spy likes this.
  19. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

Fair enough.

20. i20rider Aug 11, 2016

You got anny pics of them. You should share

Spy likes this.