Forums Latest Members
  1. singacquiesce Jun 22, 2014

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 22, 2014

I know prices are all over the place at the moment but a good 920 (the version with date complication) usually sells for about £700 in the UK, so the first one is over-priced. The second one is over-polished and personally I wouldn't look twice at it.

The third one is interesting. A good example will go for about £1,100 but if you can live with the patina, that would be my pick of the crop even though the "NOS" strap is not correct for the model.

Don't forget to factor a service into your budget which will be any where from £200 upwards, unless the seller can provide documentary evidence of a service within the last couple of years.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 22, 2014

It does look good but once again, the strap is not original. I was lucky with my (grey dialed) one as it came with the original papers and both the mesh (optional) and Corfram straps (or whatever the spelling is) You do, sometimes, see the mesh ones for sale but the faux leather ones are as rare as the proverbial stuff from a rocking horse.

4. singacquiesce Jun 22, 2014

Re: Chronostop 920, when you say mesh you do mean the metal mesh band?

After closer examination I agree with you re: the third one (Seamaster Chronostop "yachting"). The patina is a bit much and it seems a smidge overpriced.

I do think a Chronostop is the watch I want. It's taken a minute to figure out what's important to me. Suggestions of other models that have similar features are welcome too.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 22, 2014

Yes, the mesh is the metal mesh. All of the bands/straps for the Chronostops have a rather crude adjustment feature involving a screw that is loosened (and then re-tightened) to achieve the desired fit. Below are some photos of them.

As for alternatives, there are very few watches that function like the Chronostop. I think Lemania marketed one (it is a Lemania movement in the Chronostop, albeit branded Omega - they were part of the same group then, and are again now)

920 Leather 1.jpg 920 Leather 2.jpg 920 Mesh.jpg

6. singacquiesce Jun 22, 2014

Thanks. How would you compare the cosmic 2000s to the chronostop series? more-so your opinion. I've compared stats on my own.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 22, 2014

I'm very much a chronograph man so I really don't know much about how the three-hand contemporary watches compare to them. I'm not the biggest fan of one piece cases but that is purely my choice.

I have found that defining your budget and then drawing up your "wish list" is the best way forward. Factor in the service cost if you intend to wear the watch and go forward from there. Lastly, I wish that when I started collecting, I had remembered that Rome wasn't built in a day - my collection would be smaller but more defined.

8. ulackfocus Jun 22, 2014

Check your messages.