Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve Jul 24, 2012

I recently became an Omega vintage watch owner.. maybe not the best watch, but not to bad for beginners.
    I was looking at it thinking about putting a nice strap on it when I spotted a small thread of cotton on the dial, so i wiped it off.. nothing still there. I took a closer look and found the small thread was under the glass, at the six o'clock position..

photo's 006.jpg

Damn need to sort this out.
    so I took my watch to town where there are a few well known, reputable jewelers.
    First one I entered explained the situation-
    ''oh'' the guy said,
    'we can't do that, it will have to be sent away'.
    That will cost more than the watch is worth I thought. So I thanked him, and made my way to the next jewelers.
    'Yes sir we can do that, but we will insist on a full service too'
    'How much'.. I asked
    'We can't say sir, its like opening a can of worms we don't know what we'll find'
    'But its been serviced this year' I said
    'Sorry sir, we need to service it, we can't just clean it, it may be about £100-£200 depends if it needs work doing'.
    'OK.. I thanked him and walked out'..

Then today walking around my town, I saw a little shop tucked away, a sign saying 'we buy gold'
    Then above the window I saw another sign...''watch Maker'
    so I entered,
    An elderly gent greeted me. I showed him my watch and told him the story of the trapped piece of cotton.
    Hmmmm... come back in 15 minutes, he said.
    so I walked about for a while thinking..'he's going to say he can't do it, or it needs sending away.. or a service ??..
    15 minutes past, I made my way back to the little shop..
    'Any good' I asked ?
    'Yes all done... that will be ......£4 !!
    £4...?? I said
    'yes' he replied
    I thanked him, gave him a £5 note.. keep the change.

Picture 001.jpg

It's worth shopping around ..
    Result !!..:D

alam likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2012

Sounds about right. You met an honest, traditional watchmaker. Unfortunately he will not be rewarded in riches for this behavior. Nice you took care of him. :thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Jul 24, 2012

Remember that guy when you buy your next vintage watch. A good oldschool watchmaker is your best find in this hobby.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2012

And straps too. These guys often have some older new (NOS0 and unique straps. Really, sometime very exotic leathers.