Forums Latest Members

Shipping watches out of USA

1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 12, 2018

Hello folks,
    Need some help, did any of you have experience selling and shipping watch to a buyer in Japan?
    Will there be any complications with shipping or PayPal do i need to pay any fees or taxes.

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 12, 2018

I've used the USPS to ship to Europe. I imagine it's the same to Japan. You fill out a customs form, put it in a small Priority Mail box and pay the shipping. Any customs or taxes will be on the Japan end but I think that's unlikely for a used watch.

I know I bought quite a few from Japan and the transit has always been very smooth.

3. WatchVaultNYC Aug 12, 2018

Buyer in Japan, no problems

Syrte likes this.
  4. sjg22 Aug 12, 2018

Parcel Pro is a solid option depending on value.

5. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 13, 2018

Thanks a lot guys for the replies. Watch is around 7k wanted to make sure i don't get into issues.
    Also buyer is new to omegaforums.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

Parcel Pro

Tik-Tok of Oz and sjg22 like this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 13, 2018

I believe you also have to make an export declaration for the US Customs for goods value above 3k, isn't it?

8. ConElPueblo Aug 13, 2018

This could be part of a Haiku...

Buyer in Japan
    No problems
    The cherry blossom shines bright

marco, George.A, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  9. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 13, 2018

Is this true?

10. Marty McDawg Aug 13, 2018

Can individuals use Parcel Pro, or is it just for businesses?

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

Yes ... you need to apply but it’s easy. You need a federal Id but that’s easy too.

kov and Marty McDawg like this.
  12. many Aug 13, 2018

I wouldn’t ship a watch outside the US as a seller using PayPal GS. If it’s a new user or someone you are unfamiliar with I’d only accept PayPal FF or a wire, zelle etc.

Provide the buyer with a tracking number, declare the full value of the watch, and the buyer should be prepared to wait if the watch gets stuck in customs. If wouldn’t use USPS and prefer to use FedEx or another third party carrier. FYI ParcelPro recommends not sharing tracking numbers.

13. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 14, 2018

Thanks for the response.
    If we use wire do we have to pay tax here?

14. many Aug 14, 2018

I'm assuming you are a private seller and you are referring to the 1099K that paypal provides? If you are then, no a wire will not automatically generate one of these. You'll have to create one yourself.

15. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 20, 2018

I am not a private sellers this is my first time selling watch at this price point and to overseas. Do i need to pay any tax or export fees in USA.

16. many Aug 20, 2018

If you have a business selling watches then I'm not sure what taxes or export fees you may have to pay. I'm only familiar with sales as a private seller.

17. WatchVaultNYC Aug 20, 2018

If you are in the USA, there are no export fees. However, there may be customs duty. Depending upon how you set it up - either shipper or recipient is responsible for that. With USPS, recipient is always responsible. With Fedex / UPS there's a check box. There may also be sales tax, which the recipient is always responsible for.

With regards to paying income tax from a sale, officially every $$$ you make is subject to income tax. But of course in reality casual sellers do not bother and and neither does the government. If you take Paypal for payments, they will generate a 1099 if you exceed 200 transactions AND $200K in sales (last time I checked, but I blew past that years ago).

Wire payments do not generate tax forms so theoretically it's not reported to the government. If you're a casual seller I would not worry about it. But if you're in this to make money i.e. as a money-making hobby or a business it's always best to report all income, lest you be "Manaforted"

Edited Aug 20, 2018
    Marty McDawg and BenBagbag like this.
  18. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 20, 2018

Thanks a bunch that clarifies lot of questions.
    I am requesting the buyers to do a Wire instead of a paypal as he doesn't have any feed back on this forum.

19. WatchVaultNYC Aug 20, 2018

For casual sellers, accepting wire from an international buyer is probably the only way to go if you don't know the buyer from Adam

marco, sumerian and BenBagbag like this.
  20. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Aug 20, 2018

one last question for a 7K transfer do we need to split the wire transfer?