Forums Latest Members

Shipped my Snoopy out just 6 hours ago...

1. larryganz The cable guy Feb 9, 2018

So, how many of you Silver Snoopy Award owners here are too afraid to wear your watch, but have too much fear of missing out (FOMO) to sell the watch, even though you aren't using it?

I wasn't looking to sell, but it's been in my safe for 2 years with stickers intact, and never worn because I was afraid to kill the value in case I ever got in a bind and had to sell. I'd pull it out every once in a while to admire it, try to talk myself into putting it on, and then it went back into the safe. Which is strange since I have no qualms about wearing other expensive watches like GSOTM, Ti Planet Ocean 9300 and Ti 8500, POLMLE, or GMT II BLNR, etc.

So after we had some unexpected expenses last week and changes in our dependent deductions for our taxes, I complained about it and I received an offer from an online friend that I couldn't refuse. I had already initiated a plan to handle the extra expenses, with free cash advances at 0% interest for 15 months, but it meant significantly less disposable income and a change in lifestyle until the end of the year.

We couldn't cash in on any investments to pay the unforeseen expenses, because the market dropped so much over the past 2 weeks and we need to wait for it to recover first. If the 13 year old furnace and hot water heater had died just a week earlier, things would have been different.

Snoopy, you will be missed.

Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy IMG_1324.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy IMG_1314.jpg

Edited Feb 9, 2018
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 9, 2018

You won’t miss it that much if you never wore it surely? A nice investment but if it is locked in the safe then not a lot more.

If you needed the dough then you did the right thing.

Edited Feb 9, 2018
  3. Meme-Dweller Feb 9, 2018

That sucks, but cheer up. Baselworld 2018 is just over a month away and there's going to be a new Speedy Pro LE knocking on your door. With any luck, it'll be desirable and may potentially be another great investment too... and maybe you'll wear it this time!

4. larryganz The cable guy Feb 9, 2018

Well, if I use the money from the sale to pay off one of our cars, and then pay off the money I borrowed at 0% for the furnace and water heater, then I can free up about $1200/mo in cash flow and our only debt will be one car and a mortgage. So Bravo Snoopy!

But that doesn't pay for the increase in taxes due this year, and the car is only at 1.49% interest with 18 months left. So you're saying I'm justified to just make the payments with almost no interest, pay the taxes, and spend the rest of the money on another watch? Brilliant!

flyinb44, Perseus, mhaymo and 3 others like this.
  5. red1108nyc Feb 9, 2018

It's only a watch. You did the right thing my friend and especially if you are not wearing it.

kov, propervinyl and Paedipod like this.
  6. htiek Feb 9, 2018

This is always my fear of getting a model like the Speedy or a CK2998 etc. It keeps me away from them That and the price. I can never decide if I want to wear it and enjoy it, or keep it in as pristine condition as possible. But at the end of the day, it is just a watch, and many many things come before it

7. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Feb 9, 2018

I don't think it would have lost much value being worn, even if it picked up a few marks along the way. A highly sought after watch is just that with or without wear. I'd have worn and enjoyed it if it was me, I did just that with my Apollo-Soyuz and had it serviced prior to selling, it came back like brand new. In hindsight the service was probably a waste of money on my side as it probably would have fetched just the same as it was.

Paedipod likes this.
  8. Mathlar Feb 9, 2018

You're doing the right thing. It's only a watch! I have come to the same conclusion and I'm going to sell my white gold moonphase Speedy - as rare as hen's teeth and I'll never see another. But if it's not worn (in my case, for a variety of reasons), it's useless....

Pun, Kmart and Paedipod like this.
  9. tonizzos Feb 9, 2018

one of my favorite watches.... very very nice

10. jam karet Feb 9, 2018

Wow 2 years? You sir, have a lot of self-constraint. That's a nice piece.

11. any4xx Feb 9, 2018

I’m not sure I could have let it sit without wearing it. But it sounds like it did serve it’s purpose for you, in that it WAS there for the financial bailout you were saving it for.

12. Theognosis Feb 9, 2018

Snoopy saved your day. When things get well, I’m sure you’ll get another beautiful piece. Who knows, you might get that good ol’ Snoopy back!

13. Meme-Dweller Feb 9, 2018

More like, "What could you do with $14k net profit?", amirite?

14. nixf6 Feb 9, 2018

The Snoppy was a good nest egg.It helped you smooth out those bumps we all get in life.

15. larryganz The cable guy Feb 9, 2018

I also like to wear my Planet Ocean LM LE and X-33 Solar Impulse LE, and both are LE watches that I'm not afraid to wear (although I have a second POLMLE NIB unworn with stickers to give my son someday, but it's oils will dry up before that time and I'll need to get it serviced and then no more stickers, at which point maybe I'll wear it and give him the one that I wore with more sentimental value).

But the Snoopy seems to have this aura about it that made me afraid to wear a $14K watch that I could lose $2K just from wearing it. Plus, if it has a 2 yr warranty like any other 1861 watch then it still has a month left, so the buyer could send it to Omega right away if it's got any issues that I didn't notice from not wearing it. I never even bothered to check it's sec/day timekeeping, as I never gave it a full wind when I'd take it out once a month to admire it and give it 4-5 winds to keep everything lubricated.

When I got my new CK-2998 LE from the OB ($6997 with tax) I did wear it quite often, and liked it best on a gun metal grey NATO because it looked too small on a tapered leather or bracelet. It still felt small on me due to the blue chapter ring around the dial making the dial smaller, and last year I traded it even for a 15 year old Rolex Two Tone Blue Submariner that was worth about $7,000 with bracelet and Everest strap. So I didn't take a loss there, but the TT didn't feel that special, and I sold it and still broke even after a cash + watch trade. If I'd sold the 2998 outright I'd have taken a $1,000 loss.

16. larryganz The cable guy Feb 9, 2018

I only made about $100 on the Snoopy deal, selling it and a DSOTM strap to an online friend. I wasn't out to fleece anyone out of their money.

rohnin and htiek like this.
  17. Meme-Dweller Feb 9, 2018

Wait, so you're telling me that your online friend made an offer you couldn't refuse and it was... +$100?

::facepalm1::

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  18. Penzes Feb 9, 2018

Good question, should be a very good online friend, or a typo.

19. dscoogs Feb 9, 2018

OP didn't say that he paid MSRP for the watch ...

20. vintagestuff Feb 9, 2018

I've been trying to find the Snoopy Come Home song from the cartoon in the 70s to no avail. You're a good man, Larry Ganz.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.