Forums Latest Members
  1. vincereynard Nov 25, 2015

I may regret this.
    What is "shill bidding" and how does it show one's maximum bid? What happens if 2 snipe at the same time? Highest snipe wins / first snipe wins?

Could this not become counter productive with forum members bidding against each other? If an item has a lot of interest perhaps members should establish who would pay the highest and he / she has first dibs.

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 25, 2015

As I understand 'shill' bidding online or otherwise: A 'shill' is not a legitimate bidder. They only place bids to drive interest or/and the price up.

This can be different than a stupid bidder that can't afford the price at the gavel but effectively both queer the bidding. A shill generally is an agent of the item owner or auction house.

Snipe bidding can only occur online or in silent auctions. A snipe bidder will wait to as close to the end of bidding as possible.

Due to the nature of electronic 'packets' only one is going to arrive in the nano-second the window closes. Two 'simultaneous' bids just won't electronically happen.

In a silent auction the snipe will arrive at the table just before the bid sheet is picked up and place the minimum bid raise.

I believe if you place a high enough maximum bid you will not be sniped but you may pay dearly...

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 25, 2015

Never set your snipe higher than you're willing to spend, just ensure the win. Otherwise, as ahposo stated, you my pay dearly.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 25, 2015

First this is called collusion. It is generally considered ethically challenged.

Second is getting two real collectors not to do what they have to do to to gain their prize. Only one can possess the prize and one will lose. Good Luck getting in between...