Forums Latest Members

shell cordovan for daily beater, lined or no lining?

1. MichaelRay Aug 25, 2017

looking to replace the leather strap on my daily chrono with shell cordovan. I wouldn't say that I'm a sweater, but there will obviously be times I will sweat and didn't know if I should get a shell cordovan with a lining or no lining? The only reason I ask is because the vast majority of those straps I see for sell do not have a lining.
    For those of you that have a cordovan strap, I would greatly appreciate your opinion.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 25, 2017

I have never had a problem wearing such straps without a lining, and have used many.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Aug 25, 2017

Ditto. Great straps.

4. M'Bob Aug 25, 2017

One of my faves. The leather is so pliable, there is hardly any break-in period.

Tony C. likes this.
  5. yinzerniner Aug 25, 2017

If you're a sweater then shell cordovan is not the best option as the rich, oily texture of the hide hurts in dispersing sweat. Those same qualities also make the strap less breathable than other leathers. That being said shell cordovan has almost no break-in period (as mentioned by @M'Bob above), conforms to the wrist incredibly well, keeps it's finish and color well, and ages gracefully. I personally sweat a decent amount and don't really like how it stretches easily so shell cordovan aren't the preferred choice, but those who like them LOVE them.

6. M'Bob Aug 25, 2017

What if you're an overcoat? :)

Ritzwatch likes this.
  7. MichaelRay Aug 25, 2017

Those are great points, thank you!
    Maybe I'll switch to the bracelet in the summer and back to the cordovan when temps go down. The quick break in sounds nice

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 25, 2017

I have both lined and Unlined. Personally I like a lining on these. That said it's a great material. I use it to dress down a few of my gold watches.

9. wkimmd Aug 25, 2017

I like the unlined ones. Usually a little cheaper too. And they age well - although @yirzerniner is right about the sweat. But there is nothing like cordovan. Either get new straps more frequently, or get a good leather conditioner (Saphir) and use it regularly.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2017

Depends on the watch. Speedy pro can go unlined or lined. My bigger dive watches need lining/padding. A 34-38 unlined for sure. Too me it's more a factor of Watch thickness.