Forums Latest Members
  1. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Jun 28, 2015

3 weeks ago I bought from a friend of mine who also collects vintage watches(mainly Omega and Zenith) a nice Omega Constellation ref 168.004 with the non hidden crown. It has a nice story behind it: The watch was bought in Greece during the 60's and many years later the grandson of the original owner sent it to Omega for a complete service in 2001. Omega seviced it, changed the originally pie-pan dial with a domed dial and replaced the hands. And 14 years later he sold it to my friend, who gave it to me. Fortunately, Omega had returned the original dial and hands, so them back.
    Also I managed to buy a nice Omega Constellation box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the initials written in the back from the original buyer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    And finally a wristshot:)
    [​IMG]

TexOmega and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 28, 2015

congratulations on your new Constellation -and box
    nice story -the medallion barely looks worn at all
    it'll interesting to see how Omega treated the insides once you have a chance to get the back off
    did you keep the service replacement dome-dial and hands?
    I see it is a cal.561
    what is the serial number -16,8XXXX? -puts it around 1960/61 -is there a date on the receipt?

3. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Jun 28, 2015

Thank you very much,
    yes I kept the replacement dial and hands. The serial number which can be seen on the left paper(which are the service papers, unfortunately I don't have the original papers) is 239303...
    As soon I get the back off I will post pictures of the movement

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 28, 2015

hmmmmm
    I saw the 23,XXX number but thought that was unusually late for a 561 -it would put it at around '67/68
    the 16,XXX would fit perfectly.
    you would expect a 561 to run around late 50's to mid 60's (latest)
    But I checked on the Omega data base and there is a 561 C-case Connie listed for '67 -so it is possible

here are some links:
    http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-articles/omega/omega-serial-numbers-by-year/

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=undefined
    this one should link to only 561s

-you can always confirm the serial number when you get it serviced -which even though Omega had it in their hands in 2001 you should do before you wear it. (every 5 years or so if it used regularly as the lubrication dries out -but it will have dried out just sitting for 14 years)

I'm sure folks here would like to see pics of the replacement dome dial if you have them -front and back -it's all good research to know what Omega were doing in 2001

lovely watch -enjoy! -and post pics of the movement when you get them
    Philip

5. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Jun 28, 2015

Thank you, I already got the watch serviced but I forgot to tell my watchmaker to take pictures of the movement. Yes 67/68 is a bit late for 561 but since it was serviced by Omega I imagine it's original. According to Omega Vintage Database this reference began in 1962 but it doesn't state when it ended.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 28, 2015

I think the 561 originally came out in '58
    edit -but the case style was early 60's.....

Edited Jun 28, 2015
  7. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Jun 28, 2015

Yes you are right the 561 came out in 58 but the reference in 62

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 28, 2015

That is the case reference number of this watch, 168.(0)010.

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=14550

These watches came with both dome and pie-pan type dials.

I wonder if those receipts are for the servicing of the watch, rather than original sale. Since "it's all Greek to me", perhaps our OP can tell us.

With respect to the movement, if it has the "push-pull" date mechanism, it is a cal. 564. If not, it's a cal 561. A 23M serial number would put it right around 1965, which is also the time that Omega was transitioning from the cal. 561 to 564. It could be either.

Very nice pick-up!:thumbsup:
    gatorcpa

9. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Jun 28, 2015

As I wrote these are the service papers as I don't have the original papers unfortunately.

It definitely has the 561 because I checked and it doesn't have the "push-pull" date mechanism.
    You are right about Omega using both types of dial and that's why they put a domed dial instead of pie-pan

10. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Aug 11, 2015

Here is a photo of the movement and the caseback as requested:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]