Forums Latest Members

Sharing getting ripped off

1. Jimmy Jim Feb 15, 2014

First off, I didn't do an exhaustive search to see if the this particular subject is out there, so I apologize if it is. Thinking out loud however, being new to the game, I was wondering from the more seasoned collectors on here if there was a time where you were ripped off on a used or antique watch that sticks out in your mind. I ask this because even with all of the research in the world combined with the vast numbers watches that are out there, it's bound to happen. I'm not trying to open old wounds, but I think this would be a great lesson to share with those like me who are struggling with all of the information that is out there making my head spin. Making mistakes is a part of life and a priceless learning tool, I hope people agree and share.

Oh and if the thread is out there, I will pick a corner to go hide in and accept my flogging.

2. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2014

No flogging necessary (yet :D that is). The way to minimize risk is to watch where you do business. Most of us stay away from anything from the Ukraine, and the provinces /countries immediately surrounding it are either no fly zones or enter at your own risk. South America is not to be taken lightly either, but with patience and experience some really nice watches do come out of there.

3. cristos71 Feb 15, 2014

I've been ripped off three times, all at least 10 years ago when I didn't know any better, and all on Ebay.

1. Bought an 18kt Omega Constellation from a US seller. Received a package from Thailand with a fake 18kt Constellation in it. The seller stretched out communications and denials for long enough that the 6 week Paypal dispute period had expired and I lost out. This was my first ever problem and didn't even know that there was a time limit on this kind of thing. $550 down. :mad:

2. Paid Western Union for an Ebay watch, US seller, never saw the watch or heard from the seller again. If I remember it was $100ish and could have been a Lord Elgin or something. :confused:

3. Another Ebay watch, I don't remember what now but also from The States, received a heavy padded envelope registered mail, stuffed with paper filling and with a small 4cm tear in the bottom. No watch and the seller became unresponsive. Make of that what you will. Luckily it was also a beginners watch ( Anno 2002 ) $150 down. :thumbsdown:

These all came within a 12 month period and it proved to be a very short and sharp learning curve for me regarding internet commerce-specifically Ebay. In those days things like this could happen quite easily, and I remember reading a lot of horror stories back then. As far as I can tell most people these days are a lot more savvy.

4. Watchguy31-us Feb 15, 2014

A while ago I bought a 16220 datejust from a seller on eBay.

He reached out to me and said he would split the difference on eBay fees if we just worked outside of eBay.

I received a 16014 datejust with a fake rolex jubilee. It also had never been serviced (the claim was that it was serviced a month prior to the sale) and was about 5 min off a day. The box and papers it came with belonged to some vintage 1500 as well.

After fighting with paypal for several weeks, the statute of limitation passed. Not wanting to go in deeper with servicing it, I sold it for a hefty loss (I sold it under its proper identification for its proper value)

5. Jimmy Jim Feb 16, 2014

Good stories! Years ago I used to collect antique cameras and you wouldn't think it would be as much of an issue, but I was burned once on a early 80's Chinon. Even worse it was in person. It wasn't until I got it home on my bench and found that just about the entire shutter system was from a knock off company. I parted out what I could... sad day for me.