Forums Latest Members

Setting the time clockwise or counter clockwise matter.

1. Om3ga321 Oct 18, 2018

Just out or curiosity does it matter if you set the time on a watch clockwise all the time, counter clockwise all the time or a combination of both.Does counter clockwise increase wear on the wheels etc?

2. Canuck Oct 18, 2018

Turn the hands either way. You’re safe. Watches are designed to permit turning the hands backwards. That goes for both mechanical watches, and quartz.

M'Bob and Om3ga321 like this.
  3. jetkins Oct 19, 2018

Except if it has a date complication, in which case I would never adjust backwards through the period when the date changes.

Faz and Om3ga321 like this.
  4. JamieG Oct 19, 2018

The rapid set function on a Vostok I have with Date complication is to wind forwards until date changes, go past 01:00 then repeatedly wind backwards beyond 21:00 and forwards again beyond 01:00 until you’re at the required date.

It works fine and the watch is more than ten years old now.

jetkins and Om3ga321 like this.
  5. Renton Oct 19, 2018

yup, i never adjust backwards for date and complication watches. for all else, either direction works!

6. Snowman Oct 19, 2018

Does this apply if the movement is in motion
    I am always wary of turning backwards when the watch is running
    Or is this ok

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2018

Fine on most watches to wind it back through a date change.

Okay running or stopped. The only thing I would caution against is if the watch actually runs backwards when turning the time backwards - not something I generally like to see.

Zenman53, ebrohman, M'Bob and 5 others like this.
  8. rohnin Oct 19, 2018

I always wind clockwise to be safe

kingscourt15jwls likes this.
  9. isaac.owen.nz Oct 21, 2018

I've got an old Minerva that bound up when I went backwards a few hours after going past the right time. (Whether that was the cause of the stoppage or not, I don't know for certain)
    Off to the watchmaker and now I'm definitely more cautious about winding backwards more than a little bit, that's just me though.

10. Professor Oct 21, 2018

With a couple of my watches (an '83 Bulova and a 50's Benrus)trying to set it back results in the mechanism coming to a full stop, If turned further the second hand of the Bulova will move backwards . I can just hold it there stalled until the required number of seconds have passed then it immediately starts running again when released.
    With the Bulova there's sometimes no resistance to setting it back a bit.

11. Dan S Oct 21, 2018

But this is exactly how semi-quickset watches function.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  12. Professor Oct 22, 2018

Does the Vostock Amphibia have the quickset you mentioned?

13. Canuck Oct 22, 2018

Exactly!

14. Canuck Oct 22, 2018

Turn the hands ahead until the date changes. Stop, then back the hands up to about 8:00. If the date backs up when you do this, it is not a “semi-quickset”. If the date doesn’t back up, then it is a “semi-quickset”. If it is a semi-quickset, each time you back up and advance the hands as described, the date will advance.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  15. jetkins Oct 24, 2018

I stand corrected. I had assumed that since the instructions for all the date watches I've ever owned advise against setting the watch around the time when the date changes, that cranking it back and forth through that period would be inadvisable. Personally, I think I'll continue to avoid doing so unless explicitly told to by the manual if and when I ever own a semi-quickset watch. :)

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2018

The warning you read was for watches with a quick set date, and that warning was not to use the quick set function while the date change is in progress. That is a completely different thing than what we are referring to here, because setting the time backwards to advance the date would only be done on watches that don't have the quickset date - hence they would not have that warning.

I was working on a watch the other day and with this thread in mind, I took a video of how a semi quickset situation works, with the dial removed so you can see what's going on:

So you can see the finger on the date indicator driving wheel connect with the finger on the date indicator, and as I turn the crown to advance the hands, the fionger flips the date to the next number. When I turn the hands backwards the finger, which is spring loaded, collapses to allow clearance to get past the teeth of the date indicator without causing any damage.

It's perfectly safe to turn the hands backwards on most watches, even through the date change period.

Cheers, Al

Vulffi, Eve, bristnj and 5 others like this.
  17. jetkins Oct 24, 2018

As always, Al, you rock! Thanks for the informative video.

18. Shabbaz Oct 29, 2018

Funny. I was reading a article about the person who is responsible for the clocks in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and he is saying never wind a clock counter clockwise because it can damage the mechanism.

20181029_155825.jpg 20181029_160208.jpg
  19. M'Bob Nov 2, 2018

Apples to apples?

Pun likes this.
  20. Canuck Nov 2, 2018

Depends on the clock. With most modern ones, counter clockwise is fine. But in a museum? Better to be safe, particularly with chime and striking clocks. With some early weight driven clocks, it is usually best to stop the pendulum before moving the hands in either direction.

Waltesefalcon, Pun and M'Bob like this.