Forums Latest Members
  1. Simrocks Sep 2, 2016

Good afternoon

Looking to establish who to get to service and also value my old Omega here in the UK.

Watch hasn't been serviced in last 6/7 years and whilst it isn't worn, would prefer to keep it in first class condition. I can see that some members state not to send to Omega and that reputable watchmakers can do as good if not a better job. Other than Omega, I'm uncertain who to send to and any suggestions would be most welcome. I had approached a local "quality" jeweller, however, whilst they could send the watch to their watchmaker, because of the uncertainty as to value, they would only cover to the scrap gold value, which in view of the limited edition status concerns me. They would insure for market value if I had an officially recognised valuation, and my next question please would be who to approach to provide this.

Other than being mentioned in Richon's "A journey through time" on page 732, and a similar model being sold by Christies a couple of years back, cannot see anything else that can guide me.

If anyone can guide me, it would be very much appreciated.
    DSC02527.JPG

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 2, 2016

I'm no expert, but if you want those who might know you will need to post scans of the gold hall-marks on the case and bracelet. They should be either: GP (gold plated), 14k.(.67) or 18k.(.75). Most will tell you a service from an Omega qualified watch-maker with an parts account is best. Your other other issues regarding value will be it's size and 7" bracelet. Maybe best suited as a Woman's dress watch.

3. Simrocks Sep 2, 2016

Thanks for the prompt reply. The Richon guide confirms it is a gents watch, and previous postings contain an image of the hall-marks (18K)
    which I have attached again. It is signed by Andrew Grima who designed the "About time" series for Omega in the early 70's.

4. Simrocks Sep 2, 2016

Apologies, photo now attached:
    _DSF0638.jpg

5. cristos71 Sep 2, 2016

I´m sure if you say where you are somebody will be able to advise you a watchmaker in your area or thereabouts. The movement is a 712 so a competent watchmaker shouldn´t have any problems servicing it.

I´ve read through your original thread where you were asking about its value and didn´t really get anything conclusive, so to be brutal, I would say the value is pretty much scrap plus maybe an extra couple of hundred. The style is just too over the top and the integrated bracelet is not helping the value cause either.

Insurance/replacement value of course will be much, much higher, but nobody apart from insurers take that as more than a pinch of salt.