Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Jul 11, 2019

hey, a number of times I’ve gone on about my Cellini. I get all my automatics serviced, even Rados I’ve picked up for 50 bucks. I’ve spent more servicing them then I did on the watch. My question is what can I do with this Cellini as far as servicing goes. I’d hate to have it stop and be worth only it’s weight in gold which I wouldn’t imagine being that much anyway. I actually did have it serviced once but I never thought to ask exactly what the hec they do to a quartz watch. I know many watch makers are here or at least people who have more expensive quartz and I’d like to know what you do. I actually wore my Cellini today as I was on a job interview as my life is in a tailspin and I’m trying to figure out what to do next. I shall now include my obligatory blurry picture of my famed Cellini. Thanks for any info.

image.jpg
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2019

Rolex services them.

3. Walrus Jul 11, 2019

Well it would prefer not to send it to Rolex. This watch being a Cellini doesn’t have a lot of value. A local jeweler is certified by omega and has serviced Rolex before. I imagine if I send it to Rolex it would be at least 1,000 and that really doesn’t seem prudent unless it is something I have to do and have no option. What do they do when servicing a quartz

4. Canuck Jul 11, 2019

Most quartz watch movements are replaced rather than serviced, when timekeeping suffers, or when they quit, as often happens. Your Cellini would not be in that category of the majority of quartz watches. Service it when it no longer keeps time.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2019

6. Walrus Jul 11, 2019

Damn, would that mean a whole new movement you think. I don’t want to think negative but if this were to go is it possible to repair. Despite this not being automatic I do really think it’s a nice looking watch. I also wonder if sense I wear it so infrequently would it make more sense to remove the battery during the times it’s in my box waiting for me. I always keep it running.

7. Canuck Jul 11, 2019

Replace? No no no! As I said in my post, your Cellini would hardly be in the same category of garden variety quartz watch which has the movement replaced. You would service the Cellini!

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2019

Often replacement is cheaper than the labour for servicing, in particular in cheap quartz watches. This watch would warrant a service I would think, since a replacement movement may not be available outside of Rolex. I have no idea what movement is in this watch though.

I don't know how long ago you serviced it, or what was done, but in a simple quartz watch like this one (2 hands, no complications of any kind) the main reason for getting it serviced would be poor battery life. This can be checked by any properly equipped watchmaker, as I've shown in the thread that was linked above. The specific electrical parameters of the watch can be checked to ensure the movement is functioning correctly, and if needed a service can be done.

One thing you should make sure of is that if the watch stops, that you get it in to be looked at rather quickly, because if the battery leaks it can damage the movement.

Cheers, Al

Larry S and Walrus like this.
  9. Walrus Jul 12, 2019

Thanks, yes as soon as it stops I get the battery replaced. Never left it not running for more than a day or two. What I do wonder is if it would be a good idea to leave the battery out if I go for long periods without wearing it. Here are some pics of the movement maybe they can tell you something as I have no clue. I have no idea if it is a sturdy movement but I’m just a watch fan not a technician. Thanks for any info at all. 30C83580-306F-4933-B67C-A98FBEDCA663.jpeg CB2520AF-7108-48F3-B570-C1DEEBD72646.jpeg 6142BFF1-D65D-45AB-BF42-7F411A0BDC84.jpeg 9F1645B0-E894-423E-84E4-FB2EA3388B2E.jpeg

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2019

If you are storing it where you won’t be able to keep an eye on it, then yes I would remove the battery for long term storage.

11. Walrus Jul 12, 2019

Sorry don’t mean to drag this out. I can always keep an eye on it I’m just wondering if removing the battery and not having it running will increase the life span. I have it right in one of my boxes so it’s not difficult to keep an eye on, I see it every day

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2019

It won't be significant either way.

13. Walrus Jul 12, 2019

Thanks archer that has been my main question. I got this when I knew even less about watches. I really do like it but it’s time to try to make a change. Bobs offered me a decent amount of money but that’s prior to me sending it in and then they give me the low ball. I’ll tell you they offered me 2,800 but I figure once they have it they will knock off at least a grand. As I research online that seems to be how they operate. All I want to to is put together some money to save up for a decent omega. I do have one stop I can make first to try to work out a trade but I think I missed the opportunity as the crisis I posted about recently really knocked me on my ass and I went into a depression and didn’t get to the shop where I was going to make the deal. One speedy would make me very happy, kinda my grail watch and I can even hunt out a midsize which might even be a little cheaper. I’m under no illusion/delusion that this Cellini will get me where I want to be with a speedy but it will get me on my way. When I got this watch I actually felt more comfortable with quartz as I knew nothing about automatics. Now I know. Live and learn as they say. Now that I have my automatic constellation and mechanical dynamic I now appreciate “real watches”.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2019

Quartz are real watches...

15. Walrus Jul 12, 2019

Yes
    , just kinda looked down on places like this. I do want to pick up a cheap but decent moonphase quartz seems like it would be easier to keep the complications going.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 12, 2019

Certainly not by everyone here.

17. MRC Jul 12, 2019

Agreed. I bought this new in 1982, and paid more than its market value to have it serviced by Omega.

P8200600m.JPG P1010362m.JPG
    Edited Jul 12, 2019
    Deville94, Caesar95 and Walrus like this.