Forums Latest Members
  1. base1178 May 2, 2018

I've got a PO 2500D in need of servicing after very rough, almost continuous use since 2012. Suddenly stopped ticking, manual wind didn't work, I had to wear it until the rotor built up the power reserve and then do repeated de-magnetization. Then manual winding started working, watch was back to its standard +/- 1 sec/day, and a week later stopped ticking again and the manual winding doesn't function. I've reached the acceptance phase that it's time to send her to a watchmaker.

From reading previous servicing posts, it seems that sending to Omega for the $550 parts-inclusive flat rate has been the preferred method. Is this still true as of May 2018, or should I consider a private watchmaker? Watch will never be sold so resale isn't an issue. I include the usage history and performance failure notes in case that makes a difference, since the likelihood of needing replacement parts is probably high. Anything I should know before I go the factory route, or just send her in at the dealer? Thanks in advance for all opinions.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 2, 2018

If you do decide to use an independent watchmaker, make sure that whoever you use has an Omega parts account. This will mean that they will have access to specific parts and tools that are required to properly service the co-axial escapement, and that they will have had training on how to service these. They are quite different than a traditional lever escapement.

Cheers, Al

3. EatMan May 2, 2018

In general, very pleased with Omega’s service work and customer service. Had a watch with some issues. Was under warranty but the inspection noted evidence of severe shock— and I am sure they were right as I am pretty rough with my watches, banging into things. Typically in that scenario, the repair is not covered but they performed a full service at no cost. The watch now looks fantastic and works great.

Also purchased a seamaster from someone who got it serviced by Omega just before I bough it. With a full service, Omega provides a new 2 year warranty. Made it easy for me to buy.

4. base1178 May 3, 2018

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, off to Omega servicing she goes.

EatMan and IDXM like this.