Forums Latest Members

servicing omega watches and independent watchmakers

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 4, 2014

Hey gang,

I am wondering about selecting a watch maker to work on vintage omega watches. If I understand correctly, there are independent watch makers who attain some sort of certification or accreditation from omega and others who don't.

When it comes to basic things like a service, is there any advantage to using an omega certified watch maker?

I'd imagine that the omega certification would be necessary for major repair or overhaul, and maybe for the newer coaxial movements, but for simple service of an 861 or 1045?

Thanks!

J

DaveK likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 4, 2014

Frankly, I don't think the service of any chronograph is "simple". Many watchmakers that I know simply will not work on them. I respect someone who understands their limitations.

If Archer is out there, he likely can answer this question far better than I, but once Omega "certifies" a watchmaker then gets the ability to order parts directly from Omega.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 4, 2014

Certainly didn't mean to imply servicing of watches is simple, just trying to differentiate between a more generic level of service, as in a watchmaker that fixes/services watches vs one that has been specifically trained to fix/service omega watches.

There doesn't appear to be an abundance of omega certified watchmakers in the Toronto area, though there are quite a few that claim they can service them.

I know many of you send yours to Archer, and he's pretty close to where I live.. but he's also very booked (obviously a good sign!) and I'm in need of a tune up, hopefully not an overhaul, relatively soon.

I'm sure Mr. Archer's service is worth waiting for, and one day I hope to have the experience of having him work on a piece. In the meantime, are non-certified watchmakers worth trying? My pieces aren't really the most desirable to a collector I'm sure.

Maybe another way to pose the question is: how do you determine if a local, independent watch maker qualifies as "any competent watchmaker" - as is often referred to on these pages - if he's not omega certified.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 5, 2014

Agree with this 100%.

5. M.D. Dec 5, 2014

Part of this hobby is finding and building a relationship with a good watch maker. It's not uncommon to use a watchmaker that isn't local. Even in another country. If you search this site you'll find some watch maker recommendations. As for certified by Omega or not, Gatorcpa is correct, that simply means the watch maker has a parts account with Omega. I'm sure there are good watch makers out there that aren't certified. Determining if someone is competent, well, that's a tough one that I can't unfortunately provide any insight into.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2014

Depending on where you are located and the specific requirements for a brand in your country or region (they do vary by location) when you have been certified by a company, it means more than just having access to parts.

Certification involves meeting requirements like:

- having a specific level of watchmaking education and experience
    - type and quality of equipment you have in your shop - for example Omega (or any other brand I know of) will not accept those cheap Chinese made timing machines
    - shop inspections
    - attending brand specific training where your skills are evaluated by the brand as you learn how to service their particular watches

For Omega there are different levels of certification, from just being able to buy things like straps and bracelets, all the way up to working on the latest calibers (co-axial watches).

It's possible that someone who is not certified could meet all these requirements, of course with the exception of brand specific training. Only those who already had an account were invited to NJ for the co-axial training for instance.

So aside from those things, the person you use who is not certified would have to rely on the secondary market for parts, and may in some cases be forced to use generic parts. In some instances generic parts are not the end of the world, but in other cases I would not want to see them used on my watch - it depends on the specific part in question.

The best way to evaluate the competency of a watchmaker is to ask on-line and look at feedback from people who have used them. This goes for certified or non-certified watchmakers actually. Keep in mind that there is no real professional designation for being a watchmaker (I mean like a Professional Engineer - something legislated by government). You could buy a set of Chinese tools off eBay and call your self a watchmaker, hang out a shingle, and start taking in work - that is perfectly legal.

Cheers, Al

Expta, Als 27 and oddboy like this.
  7. M.D. Dec 5, 2014

Apologies Al for my comment, no disrespect was intended. What I was really trying to say is that there are good watch makers who aren't certified. Instead I put my foot in my mouth. Botched that one big time. Thank you for setting me straight.

Als 27 and oddboy like this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 5, 2014

Thank you!

Trying to find a way to locate some omega certified service centers. Other that the actual Swatch Group center in Toronto and Mr. Archer in the area, there doesn't appear to be much. I will keep hunting!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2014

No sweat - I didn't take offence, just more interested in making sure people understood the differences.

I don't expect people to know all these things, which is I answer the questions you guys have on this stuff. We are good mate.

Cheers, Al

Als 27 likes this.
  10. M.D. Dec 5, 2014

Thanks Al.

Als 27 likes this.
  11. TNTwatch Dec 5, 2014

Hi Oddboy,

Have you got your Mk II back from service yet? If yes, what's your impression?

I've found sometimes reputation does not always reflect the real experience. The best, most referenced watchmaker in my town (in the eyes of many vintage watch collectors around me) turns out to be really bad for my friend. They did a $300 service job on a pie-pan dog-leg connie and it stopped after exactly one day with the winding crown jammed tight. Brought it back, they fixed that but now the dial got a punch from the back side to the front just above the 9 hour. Really sloppy 2 men shop! They have some good equipments, but no way near Al's level and they do have a cheap Chinese timegrapher. So I guess one of the clues is in the tools/equipments they use - low quality tools, no guaranteed quality jobs.

Cheers,
    Tony

oddboy likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 5, 2014

Thanks! the MK II is due back next Tuesday. I will be sure to post when I get it!

thanks for the tips. I found a shop that seems OK. spent about an hour just shooting the breeze with the owner and the bench tech. got a chance to see some of the work area in the back room.. in my limited experience, it seemed ok, so I'll give them a try with a lesser piece and see how it goes.

EDIT: giving these guys a try in case anyone was interested: http://www.canadianwatchimports.com/

Edited Dec 5, 2014
    TNTwatch likes this.
  13. ajdo Jul 4, 2019

I would be very interested in a follow-up. I have an 25+ years old Omega Mk40 that needs servicing.
    Live on US East coast, do not need close by professional and would understand long wait time from a reputable watchmaker.
    I appreciate everyone's input in subject!
    AJ

14. xeasygoingx Aug 20, 2019

Here is my recommendation for Germany - independent watchmaker, but officially certified service center for several brands (Omega and others):

http://www.uhrenkunde.de/

15. CaptainWinsor Aug 20, 2019

In the Toronto area go see Jason at the Little Shop of Horology in Port Credit. Certified Omega Watchmaker