Forums Latest Members
  1. heden Dec 18, 2015

Hello guys!

I recently received a beautiful watch from my grandfather. It's an Omega Seamaster Calendar cal.353, estimated to be from the early fifties. It's not working, and thus in need for a service. I'am aware of that the crown isn't an original Omega, and the bracelet isn't either. The crown should be an easy fix.

I sent it of to an AD here in Sweden, who usually service vintage watches by himself. But he told me that because of that this is a pretty old watch it should be sent to Omega in Switzerland. He estimated the cost of this to be around 1168 USD (converted from 10 000 Swedish kronor).

This is my first vintage watch, and I might be wrong but isn't this very much to spend on a watch this old? Should I follow his advice or search for a cheaper (but still good) watchmaker that might be able to make it work again?

Sincerely, Heden.

Fil 2015-10-03 20 17 18.jpeg
    cmoy and Hijak like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 18, 2015

Do not send it to Omega in Switzerland. That quotation is about double the value of the watch.

Omega will likely want to replace or refinish the dial which will diminish its resale value.

You might want to read this:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/upd...service-is-a-problem.32472/page-3#post-370276

Find a local watchmaker who can service the watch and has access to Omega parts. Cost should be between $100 and $250.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

efauser, heden and Geo! like this.
  3. Hijak Dec 18, 2015

Looks to be a nice watch:thumbsup:...love these date at six Seamasters!

heden likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Dec 18, 2015

That looks great!!

It will look even better after a qualified watchmaker has had his hands on it, for sure. My recommendation goes to www.watchguy.co.uk, who a number of people in Scandinavia uses.

heden likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 18, 2015

With all due respect to gatorcpa and his vast knowledge, maybe it's not that simple.

Let's say you have a watch that in pure monetary terms and in its current non-functioning condition is worth about $600. As I see it, you have 3 options:-

1) If it's of no sentimental value and you intend to sell it, will spending even a minimal amount of say $150 (provided you can find a local watchmaker who is suitably skilled, has access to parts and will carry out the work for this amount) simply to get it running again be recovered in the price you will get for it? Take advice from members on this.

2) If it has great sentimental value over and above the cash value of the watch and you intend to wear it regularly, then the question becomes how much can you spend, and what sort of condition would you like it to be in before you will be happy to wear it? If you go down this road, and this may well involve a full cosmetic restoration including having the dial refinished the cost will probably be more than you can sell the watch for, but you'll have something at the end of it that you will enjoy having on your wrist.

3) Stick it in a sock drawer and forget about it :rolleyes:

Samir and mozartman like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 18, 2015

I like gatorcpa's suggestion a lot better.

That watch would be very attractive with a new crystal and would be much more enjoyable to own and wear if it isn't afflicted with the wretched excess of some unnecessary "full restoration." I know I'd look right past all and sundry highly restored watches to admire it as it is.

Hijak and Geo! like this.
  7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 18, 2015

The only quibble I would have is I would have prefaced the above with "In my opinion"

8. Geo! Dec 18, 2015

It's a simple watch to service, you should have no problem finding an high quality independent watchmaker to service it at a reasonable cost. I'm sure some if our Swedish friends can point you in the right direction.

9. Hijak Dec 18, 2015

You like to quibble, don't you:p...

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 18, 2015

Quibbles, foibles, terminological inexactitudes, cavils....all grist to my mill :D

11. Wongo Dec 18, 2015

Lovely condition and unpolished.

12. Canuck Dec 18, 2015

Doesn't run! Depends a lot on why it doesn't run. Labor only if you are lucky. Parts? That's another factor to consider. What might be required, and what you have to do to get what you need! Parts, labor? Is it worth it? I have a watch I paid $2.00 for. By the time it was ready to wear, I was out of pocket $200.00! And I did all the work, so labor wasn't included in that price! Worth it? To nobody but me, but I like it. So you will have to decide for yourself. But to fix it up to sell it? Not unless the watch needs no parts, and you are doing the work yourself. I have included a picture of my date at 6:00 Seamaster from the same era in order to spur you on! Fix it, keep it, you'll love it. image.jpeg

Samir, cmoy, efauser and 6 others like this.
  13. heden Dec 19, 2015

Thank you for all the answers, as a first time poster I'm overwhelmed of the interest you show in my watch!

After som thinking I have come to the conclusion that I want it to be as close as possible to what it is today. The watch has a great history and I think that all the scratches is a part of that. With that said, I think that I have ruled out the "Omega in Switzerland" option thanks to @gatorcpa 's link. I recently sent an email to a local watchmaker and I'm waiting for an answer from him. Hopefully he will be able to help me.

Great looking watch @Canuck ! How accurate is it? Have you ever serviced it and what did it cost you?

Edited Dec 19, 2015
    Giff2577, mozartman and noelekal like this.
  14. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 19, 2015

Nice watch @heden .I am from Sweden . There are many watchmakers that could service that watch in Svedala. Farfarsklockan or Mollstedts have used to help me service watches . If you don't find any send me a PM i will help out.

Geo! likes this.
  15. heden Dec 19, 2015

Thank you for the tip @rogart . I will definitely look in to those two!

16. Canuck Dec 19, 2015

Heden,

I inherited this watch 40 years ago- in pieces! It was all there except there was no case. I assembled it to confirm it was all there, and set it aside. A MB member from Madrid, Spain, had an extra case, and was kind enough to make it available. I cleaned the watch and fitted a new gasket and crown. I haven't really fussed with the regulation, but it runs within about 1 minute per week. I can't answer you as to the cost of servicing yours, as rates for service vary greatly wherever you check, and your watch may need parts. I have about $250.00 (Cdn.) invested in this one, but wouldn't sell it for 4x that!

Tritium and heden like this.
  17. heden Jan 8, 2016

Update: I recently got an answer from a watchmaker who I asked to service my watch. Apparently it is very difficult to get the auto-windup to work properly on this caliber. He told me that he was not sure if he could make it work, but that I for sure would be able to wind it up manually to get it running. I think it's sad that it might not reach its full potential, but I'm glad that I will see it running again.

Thought that maybe you guys would like to know!

Edited Jan 8, 2016
  18. Canuck Jan 8, 2016

The automatic winding mechanism on these Omegas is as simple an auto wind system as there ever was! If the auto winding on yours requires parts, that could be a bit of a problem. But if no parts are required, I don't understand his comment about not being able to get the auto wind working. I think you need another opinion, so try another watch repair would be my suggestion. I will suggest that, depending on the condition of a watch of this type, some shops might refuse to work on them, and some shops may only give you a limited warranty on the repair. So there may be some risk to you, but I really think you need a second opinion on your watch.

heden likes this.
  19. heden Jan 8, 2016

Then he probably meant that the parts (if it need any) would be tricky to get a hand on, or that they would be expensive. He is supposed the be one of the more eminent watchmakers in Sweden so I'm sure he got she skills to fix it. He has not actually seen the watch in person yet, so it is not for certain that it is hard/expensive to fix. However I will send an email to one of the other watchmakers that was mentioned earlier in this thread and see what they have to say about it.

As it is not running properly, i'm afraid that it does need some new parts. On the other hand I'm not sure if my grandfather ever has given it a service, so with a little bit of luck all that it needs is some lubricant.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated!

rogart likes this.
  20. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jan 8, 2016

As you say it could be hard to find the parts for this movement? The 353 is a bumper movement ? And "farfarsklockan has a good reputation of doing great jobs. If anyone could save it? I think they are a good candidate?

heden likes this.