Servicing my inherited Omega gold watch

Okay, good to know. So if I were to replace the crystal, could I get a new genuine Omega crystal with the correct symbol, or don't they make them for my type of watch anymore? Then I could perhaps argue (to myself) that I'm actually bringing it closer to it's original form.

On a different note, you mentioned in your first answer that I shouldn't do anything myself. I will definitely not try to service the watch myself, and now I know that I should avoid polishing it too, but how far should I take this? Can I replace the strap myself? Can I do some very light cleaning once in a while, like wiping off fingerprints with a piece of soft cloth?

These may seem like stupid questions, but I've never rally handled anything like this before and I want to make sure that I develop good habits so that I can keep it in a good condition for many years in the future.

Not stupid questions, actually. Absolutely you can wipe the watch down with a soft cloth. For now, I'd suggest having the watchmaker install your strap. Many people change straps regularly, but I have also seen inexperienced people scratch the crap out of the lugs as the clumsily try to change the strap, and this is especially true with a gold case. I recommend that you buy a good tool (e.g. Bergeon spring-bar tool) and practice changing the strap on a cheap watch that you don't care about; you will see that it takes a bit of dexterity. After some practice, you will probably feel comfortable changing the strap yourself.

Not stupid questions, actually. Absolutely you can wipe the watch down with a soft cloth. For now, I'd suggest having the watchmaker install your strap. Many people change straps regularly, but I have also seen inexperienced people scratch the crap out of the lugs as the clumsily try to change the strap, and this is especially true with a gold case. I recommend that you buy a good tool (e.g. Bergeon spring-bar tool) and practice changing the strap on a cheap watch that you don't care about; you will see that it takes a bit of dexterity. After some practice, you will probably feel comfortable changing the strap yourself.
Yeah, that makes sense. I used to take the straps off and on on watches I had as a kid, but they were made of plastic and I wouldn't have cared if I scratched them. I'll probably buy a tool and practice on a different watch eventually. For now I'll just stick with the old strap and focus on the service at the watchmaker.

Okay, good to know. So if I were to replace the crystal, could I get a new genuine Omega crystal with the correct symbol, or don't they make them for my type of watch anymore? Then I could perhaps argue (to myself) that I'm actually bringing it closer to it's original form.
The crystals are still made.

As has been answered already, yes, you can change straps!

I love the tool on the top of this page: https://www.ofrei.com/page_226.html

Cleaning of fingerprints are of course allowed, and as I mentioned, a rouge cloth to brighten the gold is also fine.

I'm quite happy you are embracing this learning.

The crystals are still made.
So, except for the symbol and lack of scratches, would the genuine Omega crystal be noticeably different from the one I have now? Different shape, material, thickness, surface quality, or anything else? Would any watchmaker be able to order a genuine Omega crystal for replacement, or could I only get that from an Omega authorized watchmaker?

We all have favorite watchmakers we use that know how to treat a watch of this age, especially one with the sentimental value this one has. If you tell us where you are, we can suggest where you go.
I realized I forgot to answer this. I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. The local watchmaker recommended to me is Mariaplans Ur. The other one is Urmager Kvarneberg in Helsingør, Denmark. I am definitely open to other recommendations.

So, except for the symbol and lack of scratches, would the genuine Omega crystal be noticeably different from the one I have now? Different shape, material, thickness, surface quality, or anything else? Would any watchmaker be able to order a genuine Omega crystal for replacement, or could I only get that from an Omega authorized watchmaker?
I honestly don't know. The proper replacement may still be in stock with some parts suppliers. You'll have to ask your watchmaker if they can get you factory parts.

I recommend to stick with the current crystal because it has a very nice low dome shape. An original Omega crystal will cost you at least 40-60 euros and will not look any nicer. Better invest this money in a nice leather strap (or 2)
Edited:

@jkej I recommend you listen to mac_omega. There's a lot of knowledge and experience in his words.
Edited:

Okay, good to learn that the crystal seems to be considered a "less sacred" part of the watch.

That’s right, and that’s because crystals are inherently fragile so they are considered «consumables ». Which is why an experienced collector like @mac_omega is advising to keep your funds for better uses.

Yeah, that makes sense. I used to take the straps off and on on watches I had as a kid, but they were made of plastic and I wouldn't have cared if I scratched them. I'll probably buy a tool and practice on a different watch eventually. For now I'll just stick with the old strap and focus on the service at the watchmaker.
Congrats on that fantastic heirloom! If you are worried about scratching the lugs, just get straps with quick release spring bars. No tools needed and you could keep changing to your hearts content. I was pleasantly surprised recently on how creative you could get with strap pairings with these gold omegas! Enjoy in good health!

Omega increased prices for spare parts like crystals lately so if you`re happy to get one from an Omega authorized dealer it can be up to 130 for a really new one.
If your crystal have a crack I would replace it to secure the dial and else from moisture and dirt.
At Omega you can get new gold buckles that have all the vintage looks but the quality is very good.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice about the crystal. Hearing the spectrum of views on these topics should make me more confident going forward, regardless of the choices I make. I would have constantly worried that I was making some stupid newbie mistake otherwise. I think I'm leaning towards keeping the crystal and having it polished for now, but it's good to know the options.

I realized something today when I was searching the internet for pictures of similar watches. I had kind of been wondering why my watch didn't have a model name or product line name such as the more iconic Omega watches (Constellation, Seamaster, etc). I kind of figured that Omega just didn't bother with that for their more basic models. Like you had to pay extra to get a watch with a name. I felt really stupid when I realized that "Genève" is the name of the line. It was there in front of my eyes all along. I had just assumed that "Genève" only indicated where it was made. I also learned that it was the more basic line (at least after 1967), but I kind of already knew that. Now I at least know what search term to use. :D

One thing I noticed when I found more pictures of similar watches was that many of them seem to have a thinner crown with an Omega symbol on the end. Does this mean that it has been replaced on mine?

Congrats on that fantastic heirloom! If you are worried about scratching the lugs, just get straps with quick release spring bars. No tools needed and you could keep changing to your hearts content. I was pleasantly surprised recently on how creative you could get with strap pairings with these gold omegas! Enjoy in good health!
Thank you! That's interesting, I can see how that would be quite convenient. But I guess then I would either have to find straps that come with a slit for the little pin, or make that slit myself?

One thing I noticed when I found more pictures of similar watches was that many of them seem to have a thinner crown with an Omega symbol on the end. Does this mean that it has been replaced on mine?
Yes. You can likely get an Omega crown, but not all of the older styles are still made, so there may be substitution.