Forums Latest Members

Servicing my Hamilton 992B Railway Special - Model 2 - 1947

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

I got this Hamilton 992B Railway Special late last year and was rather pleaded with it.

IMG_1247.JPG

However, after receiving it (as “recently serviced”) and opening it to view the movement, I noticed some large bits of crud in the movement (hard to see here, but they were there).

IMG_1222.JPG

On the Timegrapher it was very erratic so I thought it could do with a service and after my last job (Seiko Chronograph) I thought I deserved something simple. So off to the bench it goes.
    My reference for the service is TM 9-1575, the US Army manual for watch maintenance in the 1940s. My copy is rather fragile to use on the bench so I’ll be using my PDF copy which can be found here.
    P1070203.JPG

Not many fancy tools required for the task of disassembly, just these will do.

P1070202.JPG

So off we go.

Scarecrow Boat, WurstEver and Jwit like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

First, the caseback is removed and the movement holding screws are undone.

IMG_1252.JPG

And taken out.

IMG_1253.JPG

After removing the front bezel/glass the movement can be pushed out and set on a pad to remove the hands (camera problem so no shots of that).

IMG_1254.JPG

The three dial screws are backed out.

IMG_1255.JPG

and the dial is removed from the movement and put in a tray for security.

IMG_1256.JPG

The small gold dial washer is removed from the centre and then the canon pinion is pulled off. I had to use a stainless washer to give the puller more purchase and protect the parts beneath.

IMG_1257.JPG

And what’s this? Another dial washer? Recently serviced? Hmmmmmm……..

IMG_1258.JPG

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

Next I checked again that the mainspring was fully wound down by releasing the click and letting the last gasp unwind.

IMG_1259.JPG

Then I could unscrew the hairspring stud screw and separate the hairspring from the balance cock and remove the balance cock.

IMG_1260.JPG

And then remove the balance and hairspring assembly. The pallet bridge and pallet assembly are removed at this step as well.

IMG_1261.JPG

Next the balance cap jewel and regulator assembly are stripped so that the jewels and parts can be cleaned properly.

IMG_1262.JPG

I noticed that there was some strong attraction between the steel parts of the regulator. How could a recently serviced watch become so badly magnetised? That may explain some of the Timegrapher results.

IMG_1264.JPG

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

With the delicate parts safely stored, it was time to remove the ratchet wheels and the click. It’s got a spring so I took no chances and held it with a stick so it would vanish.

IMG_1265.JPG

Then the second winding wheel could be held with a plastic stick and the screw removed.

IMG_1266.JPG

The three barrel bridge screws are undone and the bridge removed.

IMG_1267.JPG

The train bridge is also removed so that the mainspring barrel and all of the train wheels can be removed. The blue shipping lever screw can also be removed here. @Canuck ;)

IMG_1268.JPG

Another spring! This clip is holding the winding arbor, clutch and pinion, I didn’t know how “springy” it was so into a plastic bag so it didn’t go ping.

IMG_1269.JPG

Now back to the dial side. The setting cap spring and winding/setting parts can be removed. But there’s another spring under there (near the point of the tweezers….).

IMG_1270.JPG

So it’s bag time again

IMG_1271.JPG

Now that the major parts are all off and everything is safely stored, I just need to remove the cap jewel plates, inspect everything and get the parts ready for the cleaning machine.

P1070201.JPG

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

6. Canuck Mar 12, 2017

So far, so good. But always let the power down while to movement is still in the case. Simpler, and safer.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

:thumbsup:

I had let the movement run down for a few days but figured that there would always be a bit of energy left.

And after a ballistic 8 day Ansonia clock spring experience, I treat any spring with care and respect.

Jwit likes this.
  8. wsfarrell Mar 12, 2017

Have you mentioned your findings to the seller?

Also, nicely done----maybe this should be a sticky?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

Too late, more than three months ago, and it may not have been their fault. Maybe :cautious:.

10. kkt Mar 12, 2017

Maybe write it with the assumption that the seller did have it serviced and you're cautioning the seller against using that watchmaker again?

Thanks for posting the story and pictures!

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 12, 2017

The mainspring in this model is held in the barrel by a small tab on the tail of the spring, that tab engages in a slot in the roof or the barrel.

When the "new" mainspring was fitted it wasn't a Hamilton item but a generic one with a bent back tail that would engage in the notched wall of a different style of barrel

So to stop it whizzing around because it's not a notch wall barrel, a pin was pushed into the barrel to hold the spring.

I didn't think that @STANDY did watchmaking in his younger days ;)

IMG_1274.JPG

Scarecrow Boat, Jwit and wsfarrell like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 13, 2017

As mentioned before only case I open has beer in it and a fishing reel with 1/10th the moving parts is my limit.

JimInOz likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 13, 2017

So you weren't the butcher?

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 13, 2017

Why do butchers get that much stick.
    If it was butchered it would be cut up nice and evenly and presented neatly on a tray. :)

image.jpeg

Jwit, Vitezi, wsfarrell and 2 others like this.
  15. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 13, 2017

That's a nice 992B. Early one too (C17713 - 1940). I have one with the same dial but more recent (C97530 - 1943). Your thread is very instructive. I plan to eventually service mine. Thanks!

Greatpa likes this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 14, 2017

Pretty pissed off right now :mad:.

I started inspecting and checking things today. I took the lower pallet assy/escape jewel plate off to check the plate jewels. No problems, and the jewels in the plate looked fine if a little dirty.

Then I took the lower balance jewel plate off.

Aaaaaaargh!

Instead of a nice clear jewel like in the upper plate, there was a pink cap jewel from a wrist watch under the plate. WTF!

Snap_006.jpg

I'd noticed it before but as I'd seen both pink and clear jewels in these plates it didn't concern me, but why?

I then checked the plate jewel and got another nasty surprise.

IMG_1277.JPG

The jewel has been pushed into the plate for some reason (to make room for the "added" jewel?).

Comparing the jewels shows that there is something amiss, they should all be similar.

IMG_1276.JPG

Turning the plate over I now notice the balance jewel (red circle) has had it's surround ground down :confused:.

IMG_1278.JPG

What's going on? I decided to have a look at the balance assembly and there I found the reason.

It appears that the watch previously suffered from a broken pivot. Not a big problem, just fit a new balance staff and all is well.
    But....................
    It also appears that the "watchmaker" didn't have the correct balance staff and couldn't be bothered waiting to get one in or pay for one.
    So it looks like he's grabbed "a balance staff" and McGyvered it together, but "fuck me" he goes, "it's too f*k'n short, I know, I'll push the jewel in to stop the end shake and use another jewel to take up the slack".

Here's a shot of the bottom of the balance assy.

IMG_1279.JPG

It isn't until you get up close you see the true horror.

Snap_005.jpg

The roller must have been a bit loose so he melted the whole lot together with shellac.

So now, besides being monumentally pissed off, I'm at a crossroads.

Option 1. Just finish the service, put it back together and take a "lesson learn't" pill.

Option 2. Source a new lower plate jewel and cap jewel plate and complete balance assy (or all the parts) and rebuild it.

Going option 1, my heart just wouldn't be in it.

Option 2 would be nice, but I can't re-use the hairspring as I don't know how much the collet has been f*cked up so a full balance assy would be needed. I also don't have a jewelling tool but I suppose I could use my staking set.

So I need parts that are pretty well hard to get in Australia, so this Option is much more of a challenge.

Any feedback (big hugs etc.) and suggestions/comment/advice are welcomed.

I think i'll go to the garage now and find something to hit with a big hammer.

:(

17. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 14, 2017

That sucks.
    If you go with option 2 (by purchasing with ebay, Casker, etc.) and a US seller doesn't ship to Australia, I can perhaps assist in getting the parts to you.

Jwit and JimInOz like this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 14, 2017

I'm a bit calmer now.

The hunt is on.

And the offer of assistance is greatly appreciated, and it's also what makes this a great forum.

19. Canuck Mar 14, 2017

This watch appeared to have been serviced by the "low bidder". Problem is, that people who go for a cheap repair only get half a repair, generally done by someone who is only capable of half a repair! The 992B was called "the watchmaker's watch" because it was so much simpler to service than it's predecessor, the 992. Even so, this one appears to have been serviced by a Neanderthal! Too bad!

Vitezi and Larry S like this.
  20. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 14, 2017

OTOH, since literally a million of these were made, finding replacement parts should be relatively easy. Somebody once noted the 992B is the most precise mass-produced mechanical item ever made.