Forums Latest Members

Servicing an Omega Chronograph 2594.52 / Cal 3301

1. Vespasiano Jun 19, 2020

Hello everyone. I recently bought an Omega 2594.52 secondhand and the seller doesn't know whether or not the watch has ever been serviced. By the looks of it the case has definitely been opened several times.

I read somewhere that the 3301 movement was very problematic initially and that Omega was taking them back on a case by case basis to "update" the movement. The watch seems to run fine but now I am worried. Would anyone know if Omega still does this? Is it absolutely necessary? Is there a cost or is it like an extended warranty? How would I know if the parts had been changed / updated? I appreciate any info as I am in the Caribbean and can't just pop into an Omega AD and ask.

Thanks a million!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2020

Omega updates and upgrades movements all the time when they see problems develop over the life of the movement. Updates are still made decades after the fact if needed, so yes they still update as required when the watch is sent in for service.

This is not covered under warranty unless the watch has an actual failure. I have upgraded a lot of these movements with the new parts when they come to me for servicing, but of all that I have serviced, only one watch has had an actual failure of one of the parts that were not upgraded. A lot of the negativity you see on this movement is propagated by one single person on the forums who seems to have made it his life's work to scare people away from buying watches with this movement family in them.

Cheers, Al

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 20, 2020

I wonder if he'll dare come out and spout his garbage here, like he did at WUS.
    He has been active here recently, so maybe he'll read this.

4. Vespasiano Jun 20, 2020

Thanks a lot for the information Al. I feel better about my purchase already!

5. Vespasiano Jun 21, 2020

Hello again Al. From what I can see you seem to be an authority on Omega watches and I wanted to ask, am I crazy or do some 2594.52 chronos have a different font on the subdial than others? I noticed that on my new one (and others I have seen online) the "3" is symmetrically proportioned but I see other pictures where the "3" is skinnier on top. Was there a dial change or are they made in different places?

I have the box and papers on my recent purchase and I bought it form a reputable seller so I guess everything should be fine but I have an eye for these things and now my mind is spinning! Am I wrong? I attached a couple of pics to illustrate my point. The one on the top is from the picture of the watch I bought. Did I stumble on some new info???

Screenshot_20200621-023859_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200621-023746_Gallery.jpg
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2020

Yes, it appears there were slightly different fonts used over the run of this model. You will note that the 2 and 5 are also slightly different.

Looked at photos of the last one I serviced, and it has the more symmetrical 3's like yours does.

Cheers, Al

7. Vespasiano Jun 23, 2020

OK, that's good to know. Thanks again Al!