Forums Latest Members

Servicing an Omega, Automatic versus Manual wind, difference?

1. novina Nov 12, 2015

So I have tried to search this, but have found only stuff like, came back from service, you must service etc. If this subject was already broached, I apologize. I would like to know how much of a difference there is, if any, in recommendations for servicing an automatic as opposed to a manual wind? Also what should one expect to be done at the time of serving? Clean, oil, time etc.? I am talking about basic service required by interval. I know that each service is an individual endeavor due to the condition in which the watch is presented for repair.
    Basically, does an automatic require more detailed service than a manual wind? Or does it just differ due to caliber? What are the service intervals for automatics and manual wind in general? Just want to be sure I am doing my part in preserving these time pieces for future generations. All help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Hope you can make sense of what I have written. Sometimes it is hard to express your true thoughts and it doesn't always come out right.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2015

Recommended service intervals would be the same. As for the work required, yes there is more involved in servicing an automatic than a simple manual wind obviously because there is an automatic winding system that has to be disassembled, cleaned, checked for wear, assembled, and lubricated. In some cases special lubricants are used in the automatic winding system that aren't used anywhere else (for example Lubeta V105 for modern reversing wheels and V106 for bearings if you want to use that). Also many autos come with a date, where many manual wind watches do not, so that is typically "added" work that is done with an automatic servicing that would not be for a manual wind - obviously there are exceptions either way and I'm speaking in general terms here...

Cheers, Al

novina and Giff2577 like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 12, 2015

Not part of the OP's question, but worth mentioning and unless I'm mistaken, chronos would be even more complicated than either manual or auto, though service interval would be the same.

The other thing worth consideration - for vintage at least - is parts availability. If you need parts that are not readily available, that will add to the cost and make servicing more difficult.