Forums Latest Members
  1. Lulu Bear May 17, 2015

I've just bought my first Omega (!) and my thoughts have now turned to servicing it when it arrives. I was thinking of taking it to Robin Martin (http://www.robinmartin.co.uk/index.htm) as it's reasonably close to where I live, and a member of the BHI.

What I wanted to know was what exactly I should be looking to have done - the do's and don'ts, if you will? I'm assuming I need to avoid any further polishing to the watch, but what about cleaning the hands, crystal and dial? Is it okay to have these gently cleaned of dirt and impurities, as long as they're not dipped in bleach and scraped clean with a wire brush?

Also, what parts are acceptable to replace, if they need to?

Pictures of the watch here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301633681451?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks for the advice!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 17, 2015

Congrats
    In general, the advice is the only visible parts that should be replaced are crown and crystal. They are 'consumables'. Internal parts obviously should be fixed/replaced as needed, with omega parts. Some parts are still in production, others aren't, and require eBay/forum searching.

Get the movement serviced and watch cleaned, but not polished.

Dial is dangerous. While it is great to clean it of dirt, dials are easily damaged, and the dial can end up looking worse. Also, sometimes the cleaning can remove some of the clear lacquer, which means the dial can then age much faster, as the underlying paint is no longer protected.

3. Lulu Bear May 17, 2015

Thanks Canberra. When you say get the watch cleaned, are you talking about the exterior or cleaning the actual movement?

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 17, 2015

Service the movement
    LIGHTLY Clean the case/exterior.