Forums Latest Members
  1. htiek Jun 27, 2018

Hi all,

I hope this is the right section to post this!

I was hoping on getting some info on servicing a Panerai. Does anyone know of a place in Toronto, or GTA that services Panerai, and what is a rough cost for a complete service?

Thanks

2. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2018

First off, I think there's a minimum structural code for a watchmaker's bench to be able to even put a Panerai down on it. Maybe somebody knows off hand if there's a minimum weight designation too.

You can tell this guy is a Panerai wearer by his mismatch bicep size - the left being noticeably bigger than the right:

PAM wearer.png

htiek likes this.
  3. 77deluxe Jun 27, 2018

Depends on the movement. If it’s a Unitas, probably most watchmakers can get parts and service it rather inexpensively. If it’s an in-house movement...

4. htiek Jun 27, 2018

I also had question about case size. I have a relatively small wrist and a 45mm or a 47mm case would look absolutely ridiculous on me. The 40mm and 42mm watches suit me much better. I have heard that the 40-42mm watch are "ladies watches" and should be avoided due to strange size and bad resale value. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

5. asrnj77 Jun 28, 2018

I’m looking at a 42mm because I have a normal size wrist and don’t want a Sony Watchman (throwback!) on my wrist. I would buy one used so the other guy takes a hit on depreciation. They make a 38mm that is marketed specifically towards women. I suppose a woman could wear a 42mm but a woman could also wear a 40mm Rolex and I don’t think this makes it a woman’s watch.

The Panerai shop estimated around $550 for complete service on an in-house movement. They make in-house manual and automatic movements so I suppose that could affect pricing

htiek likes this.
  6. Bushido Jun 28, 2018

The smaller (relatively) sized Panerai watches are just fine and bringing a number of people into the brand whom did not want a watch in Pam's more traditional sizes. The biggest gripe from Panerisitis is that some of their newer offerings dropped the WR down to 30m and moved away from screw down case backs.

Personally, I own 44-47mm Pams as my preference. However, I have tried on some of the new and smaller models multiple times and find a lot of those dials gorgeous.

There is a Panerai AD in Toronto. Perhaps give them a call and inquire about where to send for watch repairs as well as going in and trying on some models.

htiek likes this.
  7. SeanO Jun 28, 2018

The new Due might fit your arm better. the case has been slimmed down and doesn't have the crown guards.

htiek likes this.
  8. htiek Jun 28, 2018

I've been looking forward to the due as well! I've always steered clear of Panerai since I always feel they look so big on my small wrist, but this new due has be hopeful

9. asrnj77 Jun 30, 2018

Just picked up this PAM 439 in a swap. It’s a manual movement which makes it thinner and I really like it. It’s 42mm

I also noticed how hirsute my arms look in these photos. My Neanderthal lineage is shining through

1680300E-EB92-4D2B-AE52-1DE1A1DE6CE1.jpeg
    htiek and airansun like this.