Forums Latest Members

Servicing a "modified" Speedmaster...?

1. Owlsu Jul 4, 2019

A few years ago I bought a brand new standard hesalite Speedmaster from an AD. They gave me a coupon type thing which said I can bring it back and receive a free service (paid for by them I guess) done officially through Omega (The huge UK Southampton service center?)

A couple of years passed since I bought it and I decided to take off the case-back and put a sapphire display back on instead...as anyone else who's done this will know, the delrin brake sticks out like a glaring white sore thumb through the display back when you do this, so I also bought an 861 metal brake and paid for someone to switch that over too to match.

The case-back is easy for me to switch back to the steel Speedmaster one, but the brake not so much. What will Omega do if they receive it and it doesn't have a delrin brake lever? Will they even realise if I don't point it out, or just refuse service and return it? Or can they switch it over to a delrin one again without my consent.

I mean as soon as it's serviced I'm probably going to stick the display back onto it again.

Technically it's still an official Speedmaster part that's correct for my model of watch so it does no harm being inside it. I've also put a 90's bracelet on it rather than the heavy non-tapering current one. Does it have to go to them exactly as it was when it was purchased even with the bracelet it came with?

I didn't really want to ask the shop this stuff incase they think I'm doing something sketchy and just refuse to take it off me on the spot or invalidate the service.

Thanks.

89-0 likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 4, 2019

I’d just send it in, with original case back and without bracelet and see what happens. Worst case they say no and refuse to service or replace the errant part I suppose. You rolled the dice when you changed out the movement part. Bonne Chance!:thumbsup:

Owlsu and Foo2rama like this.
  3. ext1 Jul 4, 2019

I think they might change it back to the delrin. But I'd be surprised if they refuse.. they would probably just assume someone else that had serviced for you made do with the parts they had or something.

Owlsu likes this.
  4. jasonk567 Jul 5, 2019

What about the bracelet? Does it receive any treatment during servicing? I’ve attached the PO adjustable clasp on my Speedmaster bracelet and was wondering what to do when it is time for servicing assuming I send it back to Swatch.

Owlsu likes this.
  5. Owlsu Jul 6, 2019

Thanks for the replies people. I don't really believe that the delrin actually makes it any better, I'm pretty sure they just did it as a cost cutting measure honestly.

I'm thinking about selling it actually to just buy a proper 3592 hesalite sandwich, so I might just send it in and see what happens then once it's returned in all as-new condition sell it and get the other watch.

Edited Jul 6, 2019
    Archer likes this.
  6. Owlsu Jul 6, 2019

I know they'll usually fully clean a bracelet and put new pins in etc if they're worn down, they will also polish it and remove almost all visible scratches.

I sent a Bond 90's Seamaster to Omega a long time ago and the bracelet was fully mirror polished by it's previous owner but Omega got it looking like new and restored the alternating brushed/mirror finish.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2019

No... the cost difference for one piece in a not cheap plastic vs metal is not cost cutting. Delrin has some interesting properties that make it slightly better.

Caliber561 and 89-0 like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 6, 2019

I believe Delrin like Nylon is self lubricating so would actually wear less than a steel part as it ages, though I realise that may be counter intuitive.

9. ConElPueblo Jul 6, 2019

So if you ask then and they invalidate the service - what do you think would happen if they found during the service? Just shrug and carry on with the free service? Or charge the full price? Change the part and bill you?

I simply cannot see what you have to lose by asking them first.

10. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 6, 2019

As for the Delrin vs metal brake, it seems to be a back and forth thing over the years. For other swatch product like 7750's (omega 1150-60) the hour recorder was originally 10-teeth in delrin, but because of work by owners like Peter Schweitzer (R.I.P.) they remade it to a 2-tooth delrin brake, but other versions like 7753 used a metal brake with essentially 1-tooth.
    I would be surprised if they changed it back to delrin, but if its supposed to be the first service it should be unopened and in original configuration, dont you think? I do, and that is how BreitlingUSA did things, and they were terribly lax compared to the giant starship that is Omega and Swatch group. Also consider some workshops would dump a half dozen movements into cleaning baskets and assemble them into watches, only looking for bridges to match. Breitling has a team doing 10 movements per person daily and they dumped 10 movemnets parts into baskets and built them up from whatever was clean and passed parts inspection...again I am just being devils advocate and mentioning the "scary stuff".
    Usually if the seal mark on the case is broken they dont service it under a warranty or free service unless they're telling you it goes to Omega UK and it really goes to an independent shop with or without parts access. That would be hard to figure out anyway.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2019

The problem with these theories is that the blocking lever (a.k.a. brake) really doesn't wear out. I've serviced hundreds of Speedmasters and never once replaced one that was worn out, and this includes lots of steel and plastic versions.

For the price discussion, keep in mind that the plastic one is one piece, and costs $88 Canadian at the moment, where the steel version requires two pieces and they are $105 and $88, so the steel version is more than double the price. Like Rolex magical 904L steel, the "Delrin" brake has gained mythical properties and expense that just aren't real. I visited an old colleague at his new workplace a few weeks ago, and they had massive bars of 904L sitting in out in their steel yard...it isn't some precious metal locked up in a vault as Rolex would have you believe. And when I was working as an engineer, I bought hundreds of pounds of Delrin sheets (enough to make thousands upon thousands of little stop levers) and used it for wear surfaces on plastic link conveyors I was having made, mostly due to it's ability to resist absorbing oils/moisture so it wouldn't swell and get distorted. The price was not anything extraordinary at all, and maybe a few percent premium over the normal UHMW-PE that was typically used. There isn't anything special about "Delrin", or Heslatie", or 904L outside of the watch world and watch company marketing departments.

Do people really think that for the sapphire case back version that Omega is intentionally "compromising" the movement performance for the sake of aesthetics by putting in the steel brake if the plastic one was really so much better? It defies any logic...

Omega regularly lists parts that have to be replaced on calibers due to performance issues, premature wear issues, etc. In the documents for the 861/1861 family, they list several parts that are supposed to be changed out at service for a newer design, but the blocking lever is not one of them.

And for those who might be offended at me using the word "plastic" as people sometimes do when this subject is discussed, that is what Omega calls it:

72208601726V2 | PLASTIC BLOCKING LEVER

Cheers, Al ;)

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2019

The Rolex 904L myth :rolleyes:

Being on a knife forum as well
    You can buy a piece of 904L to make a knife for about $24-30AUD, and a block to CNC a Rolex case for about $11

13. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 6, 2019

Wow Archer is getting raked over the coals for the blocking lever...
    Here in the USA it is $63 retail for the delrin version. When they age to brown its time to replace the part, either from bad cleaning solutions or ageing or both.
    But there isnt a prrformance based reason to replace one with a steel 2-piece blocking lever...yet people still do.
    It remains a mystery why the 910-911 chronostop movements have a steel brake, but thats the 1970's for you...

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2019

If you take the time to actually read before you comment, you will find that no such thing is happening mate...

Foo2rama, hanky6 and STANDY like this.
  15. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 6, 2019

I think $88can is a bit higher, but Omega just raised the price...i only reply because archer seems to comment on anything i have written...so yes.
    The 2-piece in the usa is $63 and $76 each.
    I am unsure what the actual exchange rate is, but as I say the prices went up recently, and basically change at Omegas whim now that its on the extranet.
    Dont mean to offend anyone but Archer seems to want to follow around a real watchmaker and critique my comments...so go ahead!

16. hanky6 Jul 6, 2019

::popcorn::

17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 6, 2019

Omega should return the metal part if they replace it.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2019

At least Archers post made sense. I’ve read above twice and still don’t know what’s going on in the post. Especially to do with the speedmasters Delrin brake.

10 Breitlings in a basket, someone died, teeth and tooth,s and 7750s and 7753s
    ::confused2::

Eve and hanky6 like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2019

It's clear you did mean to offend. I'm all for more watchmakers being on here and providing technical information, and there are already several who do so. One thing you should consider though is that unlike other forums, this one is a very good technical resource for Omega collectors, and people do fight to keep it a good resource. This means misinformation will be corrected when appropriate.

Cheers, Al

Eve, hanky6 and Jensop like this.
  20. krh7 Jul 6, 2019

this is a great question and i hope you send it in so we can all learn from your experience!