Forums Latest Members

Servicing a Modern Speedmaster - Send directly to Bienne?

1. Watchguy31-us Nov 7, 2015

Hi All,

Hope everyone is having a grand Saturday! I have a quick question about servicing a Speedy Pro.

I have a Speedy from 2004 that is keeping pretty lousy time. It most likely has never been serviced and I'd like to send it in.

Another fact to consider: I bought it for a decent cost, due to it not having papers with it.

I've been pricing it at a lot of great third party watchmakers (Omega Authorized), and it's coming up at $500-$600 for a full service. Seeing as Omega costs $675, I am contemplating sending it to them. I figure the paperwork from Omega can serve as papers for the overall set.

I've read several bad reviews around the US service centers....and I certainly don't want to deal with that.

Have any of you ever sent a watch directly to their Bienne Service Center? The registered mail won't be that expensive, so I'm just considering it.

Has anyone done this?

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 8, 2015

I sent a caliber 1861 Speedmaster to Omega at Swatch Group US back in 2010. This was after Nesbit's in Seattle failed three times to fix it. To be fair, Secaucus took two tries. But I ended up with a watch that functioned as it was designed thanks to Omega's service.
    Most criticism about Omega service is regarding the replacement of vintage parts for owners who wanted to keep original parts. So for a 2004 model, chances are you won't need replacement parts that would affect the value of an original model anyway.

3. wsfarrell Nov 8, 2015

+1, I've had good experiences with Secaucus as well.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 8, 2015

Sending to Bienne from USA might add customs hassles you don't want and hard to predict.