Forums Latest Members
  1. weihl Jul 27, 2019

I recently sent in a PO LM LE for a full service and received back the parts in the attached photo. Could someone kindly explain what these parts are, and any speculation as to why they were replaced? Thank you!

image1.jpeg
  2. Dan S Jul 27, 2019

If you want to see the wear, you'll probably need to get out your macro lens and post some super high resolution photos ... in focus.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2019

Large item lower left - barrel complete. This was replaced because the watchmakers in the service center are so pressed for time that they can't take 5 minutes to disassemble the barrel, check it for wear, prepare it for a new mainspring, and assemble it. Likely the only part that really needed replacing is the mainspring, but this is common practice at service centers, even though it's incredibly wasteful.

Brass wheel above the barrel - this is the third wheel and I can almost guarantee the lower pivot is worn - common on the movement.

Larges bridge flipped upside-down - this is the barrel bridge, and the area on the lower portion of the bridge where the ratchet wheel driving wheel rides is worn - fairly common area for wear in watches that aren't serviced regularly or have been in use for a very long time.

Wheel at the very top of the photos - intermediate escape wheel - likely replaced doe to wear or build up of residue on wheel.

Wheel at the very right side of photo - co-axial wheel - likely replaced due to worn teeth.

Cheers, Al

owl., FL23833, MtV and 21 others like this.
  4. weihl Jul 27, 2019

Thank you for the information!

owl. likes this.
  5. S.H. Jul 27, 2019

@Archer : is it normal/usual to replace so many escapement parts during a service on modern co axials?

I suppose they replace by default if they are required to by the procedure, or are the parts really worn?

6. weihl Jul 27, 2019

In case it changes how @Archer answers, this was the first service in almost 10 years for this watch.

S.H. likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2019

These aren't parts that are mandated for exchange, so they would be replaced based on condition (i.e. because they are worn).

As for what is or isn't "normal/usual" that's a more difficult question to answer. I've serviced my share of co-axial movements, but they are not a core part of my servicing business, as things have tended to skew towards the vintage side for some time now. What I can say is that in my time servicing these, seeing wear on things like co-axial wheels was certainly not unusual. I've posted photos of these before, so although I can't speak to overall frequency of replacement in the big picture, I guess what I can say is that what I see here is not unexpected.

Cheers, Al

S.H. likes this.
  8. weihl Aug 17, 2021

Question for @Archer : Any thoughts on the cause of the following abnormal behaviors being exhibited by the movement?

1. Despite being wound with 20-30 full turns of the crown, the watch will randomly stop in under 1 hour, and stay stopped until picked up and shaken. It will continue to run but will stop again in an interval too short to have exhausted the spring.
    2. When being set, the quick set date advance doesn't click through as it used to do. When brand new, the wheel would always "snap" into place with the numerals squarely centered in the date window. Now, sometimes the date wheel gets stuck between dates (sometimes half, sometimes 1/3, sometimes 2/3) and requires another half turn of the crown to get it to "snap" into place. I haven't observed this at the midnight switchover, but haven't really been looking.

Movement is the 2500C version, last served in July 2019 as of the original post.

Thank you!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2021

It sounds like someone at the service centre didn’t do their job properly.

Hopefully it’s still under the 2 year warranty.

10. Dan S Aug 17, 2021

This could be painful. Any chance the service center might be slightly flexible on the term of the warranty?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 17, 2021

Best to ask ASAP...

Scarecrow Boat and Dan S like this.