Forums Latest Members

Service: via boutique or direct?

1. blulegend Feb 25, 2019

Hi, I'm just wondering if getting service is it better to go via a boutique or direct?

I'm asking because I brought in a limited edition watch for warranty service via the boutique (bezel insert not aligned at 12:00, slightly slow). They sent it off to Seattle for a warranty service and it's been almost 6 weeks. I just got a call from the boutique saying now it needs to go to Switzerland. Their reasoning wasn't entirely clear but it has something to do with the dial feet (maybe broken during service). I'm trying to find out more info and when I call in to the USA Omega customer service line they say they can't really tell me anything because normally the boutique needs to relay the info to me. I also can't check the status online unless I sent it in directly. So far, it seems like the boutique route is less convenient than the direct route and are just an additional layer to something I can accomplish on my own. They can't even expedite it. I suppose they shipped it for me but I'm getting anxious as to what's going on.

superfly likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 25, 2019

It’s an identical process. Except your not shipping it. I doubt if you did it direct you would get any other info.

3. Bimmerman77 Feb 25, 2019

I always ship it direct. I think Bc I can track it and see who signs for it in case it gets lost lol

4. Meme-Dweller Feb 25, 2019

Sucks that OBs are getting rid of watchmakers. Stuff like this could've been done within the hour, especially for something as simple as regulating and bezel alignment.

5. abrod520 Feb 25, 2019

My TAG Autavia Calibre 11 Siffert LE had to go back to Switzerland for a manufacturing defect. Dropped it off via Tourneau, and it was "lost" on the return shipment from TAG to them. I'm getting the runaround and it's been months.... I am never ever dropping off again. Only direct shipping with my own insurance. Sure it's an extra hundred-something dollars up front, but that sure beats being down a watch worth $8k that the manufacturer and AD value at retail of a normal TAG

EDIT: I'd probably drop off a regular-production watch (read: replaceable) that has depreciated below market value. But if they lose a LE worth more than retail value, you're going to get neither a replacement unit of your LE, or its actual value - just retail price.

Edited Feb 25, 2019
    Bimmerman77 likes this.
  6. Bimmerman77 Feb 25, 2019

This is why I direct ship. Sorry you had to go though that nonsense.

7. hbombkid Feb 25, 2019

People have reasons use an AD or OB to do the transaction.

1. Don’t pay for shipping / insurance.
    2. Don’t want to deal directly.

My issue I am losing faith in sales people at ADs and even OBs. I will also ship direct.

I am lucky my insurance also covers my watches in transit. I also have a hefty discount with fedex with my account tied to my companies account. I have shipped watches overnight for under 10 bucks.

I feel shipping directly gives you more insight. I can call the service center directly and know exactly what is going on.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Feb 25, 2019

9. blulegend Feb 25, 2019

Thanks all. Interesting discussion. My watch is sort of in the “ether” somewhere. Sort of disappointing that the service isn’t more full service. Especially when they are promoting the whole idea of LE and long term ownership.

I was never given the login info for that website. I only have a paper carbon copy of the intake form when I dropped it off at the boutique.

I’m sure everything will be okay in the end...

10. thatonewatchdude Feb 25, 2019

Sorry to hear about this, what kind of watch was it? that all sounds interesting I do hope you get taken care of accordingly.

11. nttisch23 Feb 27, 2019

That would definitely worry me, but I’m sure if you make a phone call or two you can find out exactly where it is, who shipped it etc. Hope you get it worked out! It will all be okay :)

12. Evitzee Feb 27, 2019

Anytime you open a watch there is an opportunity for stuff to happen. I'm always amazed at owners sending newish watches off for bezel alignments, hand alignmenta, dust or slightly slow rate. And then they sometimes come back with other issues after waiting weeks or months. Just wear the watch and enjoy it, the little things can be taken care of when it needs a real service. Stop the OCD activity!

13. blulegend Feb 28, 2019

That’s totally true. OCD is a bad thing! However, how about the watch coming aligned from the factory? Or without dust from the factory? It’s just bad quality control and brings down the excellence of the brand.

I debated hanging on until the thing really needed service, but I wanted to get it done before the factory warranty expired and with a little time to spare. The bezel was particularly annoying. But I’ve also learned my lesson and crossing my fingers everything turns out ok. Been out my watch for 6 weeks now.

mblease and orlis like this.
  14. Evitzee Feb 28, 2019

It will eventually get sorted out, it's just too bad it is dragging out to a long ordeal for you.

15. blulegend Mar 7, 2019

I tried calling the boutique again and they said the window has been extended another full 6-week repair window in addition to the previous 6-week window that ended Feb. 28. As for any specific info, there is none and basically said to take it or leave it since “once it goes to Switzerland, that’s how it goes.” Interesting that the logistics seems so poor.

16. kkt Mar 7, 2019

I suspect that people who aren't at least a little bit OCD probably aren't interested in mechanical watches.

soviet64, mblease and blulegend like this.
  17. blulegend Apr 16, 2019

Hi all,

I received my watch back on Saturday 4/12. It was weird that the service quality control card that came with it said it was serviced 4/10. I got the call on 4/11 that it was ready for pick up. Weird because they said it was sent to Switzerland. Maybe it never was and they were just waiting for parts from there.

My dial was indeed replaced because a defect I noted on one of the dial markers was gone (potentially the long wait. One person said one of the dial feet was broken during the service). The original complaint of the misaligned bezel was now fixed perfectly. What I did notice was that there were a couple new very light scratches on brushed edges of the caseband. Maybe they were there before but if they were I’m sad they didn’t restore the caseband.

I’m not sure what they did with the movement that was included in the full service but many of the screw heads are now slightly marked as if they used a screwdriver of the wrong size (the contact areas of the screw slots are slightly damaged where you would expect pressure during tightening and then the screwdriver tip slipped out of the slot). There’s also a piece of dust on the caseback sapphire.

I’m going to go back to the boutique to have them remove the piece of dust but I’m not sure if I should say anything about the screw heads and potential new scratches on the outside. I don’t want to seem overly critical but I really don’t know what the expectation is. Is it supposed to be practically brand new? Of course there shouldn’t be dust, but what about evidence of work as shown on the screw heads? Light scratches? My limited edition watch now seems much more aged and not just on the outside but the inside too. I haven’t been able to wear it much because I don’t want the dust particle to dislodge and get stuck in a bad place. But it runs well enough as far as I can tell.

This in addition to having the watch for 90 days. The whole experience was not transparent at all. Once you hand in your watch there is basically no info you can get that is accurate. The latest was the watch would be ready around 4/22 but it was obviously early to my surprise.

Buster likes this.
  18. Bimmerman77 Apr 16, 2019

I’d say something, especially if it came back in worse shape than when I originally sent it.

19. Omega-Q Apr 16, 2019

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. My new LE watch comes next week, and I was curious about all of this as well! I would definitely say something because the watch should not come back "damaged" in my opinion. Please let us know what OB says...

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2019

Please post clear photos of the scratches and screw heads.