Forums Latest Members

Service recommendations for Speedmaster 1973 145.022-71

1. Jamwok May 2, 2017

image.jpg Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like some help if possible.
    Over the years I've had various Rolex sports watches both new and vintage but I've finally taken the plunge and purchased an Omega Speedmaster 145.022-71.
    I don't know why I didn't get one sooner because I love it.
    I think it's a very nice example, and as far as I can tell has original step dial, bezel, hands, glass, etc. I have the original box and outer box with the guarantee and relevant paperwork and an extract from the Omega archives.
    To my eye I don't think it has been polished but if it has it was minimal in my opinion.
    The only thing I don't have is any service history, so my question is where in the UK can I send the watch for a Service and a clean? I've been in touch with Swiss time services who will obviously do the job but wondered if there are any independent watch makers that come recommended?
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Nb. The watch came with the original 1175 bracelet but also included a non original rally style strap. I'm not sure the photo shows how dirty the dial is but there seems to be a lot of dust particles and also what looks to be a red fibre of some kind stuck to the inside of the glass just below the 1 marker.

2. Davidt May 2, 2017

Swiss Time Services without question

Foo2rama and Jamwok like this.
  3. sky21 May 2, 2017

Second the recommendation for STS. You've finally dipped your toe into vintage speedies so take your watch to the best.

Jamwok likes this.
  4. Davidt May 2, 2017

The chap who used to managed the workshop at STS also has a sterling reputation and has recently branched out on his own. However, I'm not sure what his availability is at the minute.

Jamwok likes this.
  5. ibis888 May 2, 2017

Nice watch, looks to be in pristine condition.

Take it to STS for sure.

Jamwok likes this.
  6. Jamwok May 2, 2017

Thanks for the advice guys, thinking about it it's worth spending the extra and getting the job done right, and a lot to be said for the 2yr warranty with using STS. ...but might enjoy looking at it for another week before I send it :)

ewand likes this.
  7. onthedial May 3, 2017

8. Jamwok May 3, 2017

Thanks for that link OD, I just spoke to Simon, he seems a very knowledgeable and amenable gentleman, not to say that the chap at STS wasn't!
    Simons price for a sympathetic service and clean is roughly half that of STS which is something to take into consideration providing you get the same level of service, and to be honest after only a brief chat I'm fairly confident of that. After all he worked for STS as their work shop manager for 15yrs so he obviously knows his job!
    All things considered I think it's worth letting him take a look. ...I'll keep you posted!

onthedial likes this.