Forums Latest Members

Service Recommendation in Florida for vintage 145.022?

1. Wanta68GT Dec 11, 2018

Hello all, I've gotten a couple of names from forum members, but wanted to ask for a recommendation for complete service on my vintage (1970) Speedmaster. I anticipate replacing the crystal and I'll need a "stem bolt for hammer" at least, as there is a problem with the chrono not pausing/resetting properly. If anyone knows a good watchmaker that is sensitive to maintaining originality/vintage-ness of these watches I would appreciate a referral. Thanks so much!

edit: I'm in SW Florida, but am constantly driving up to the Asheville area, so could drop off in person, or would be willing to mail it to the right person.

2. cwindham Dec 11, 2018

My 69 speedy had the same issue. Chrono would not start and stop properly. I sent mine in to Jamie Dolinar but he is in Michigan. He is a certified Omega watchmaker and had it back to me in perfect condition in less than 2 weeks. He sent me photos of each step from watch receiving to watch service and fix. Good luck and let me know if you need his contact?

Risto and Wanta68GT like this.
  3. Wanta68GT Dec 11, 2018

Thanks for the recommendation, i’ll Definitely get in touch if you would share his info!

4. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 11, 2018

I live in south Florida and only trust all my watches including my 68 speedier to Wagner micro precision in West palm beac. The brothers are 4th generation watchmakers, Albert specializes in vintage clocks and Albert in watches and is sympathetic to vintage time pieces.

Wanta68GT likes this.
  5. Wanta68GT Dec 11, 2018

Thanks Fred! I’ll give them a call.

6. MMariotti Dec 11, 2018

Do you think that sending it to Omega is a bad idea? I am about to send a speedy from the early 80' in, not sure if I should

7. Wanta68GT Dec 11, 2018

Read up on the boards before sending to Omega. I am new on the site, too, but the general consensus is that you should not send to Omega if you are trying to preserve the vintage aspect of your watch. Mine is a little older than yours, and I definitely want to keep it as vintage as possible.

MMariotti likes this.
  8. gdupree Dec 11, 2018

The consensus definitely is that you should not send it to Omega if you value any aspects of it's vintage originality. Finding a quality independent watchmaker will give you equal quality work as Omega, but allow you to communicate directly what you want and do not want... Plus, if you own mechanical watches, why not establish a relationship with someone who can understand your preferences and can work on your watches for years to come.

FREDMAYCOIN, Wanta68GT and dan7800 like this.
  9. dan7800 Dec 11, 2018

+1

Plus Omega service costs are frequently much higher

10. dstern Dec 11, 2018

I can second this recommendation. @FREDMAYCOIN introduced me to John and Albert (Wojciech). They've now serviced several of my vintage watches with an understanding that nothing should be done to compromise their vintage condition. Their prices are very reasonable, but they are old fashioned. If you want a service with lots of photo documentation online, you'll need to go elsewhere. But if you want just knowledgeable, careful and fast service, this is a place to turn.

Wanta68GT likes this.
  11. FL-Frank Jul 13, 2021

My Constellation (168.005/calibre 564) had been running fast so I brought it to John Wagner this morning for a look. Really nice guys…took them less than 5 minutes to diagnose and correct the problem…and they wouldn’t take any money from me.

John and his brother and their shop remind me of the old school watchmakers shops that were in the Chicago neighborhood I grew up in back in the 50’s/60’s.

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.