Service question

Hello! I dropped off an omega seamaster to a boutique recently and got a quote for the complete service and additional parts (some required and some recommended). The watch is about 7 years old and the quote for the required parts I got was more than 75% of what I originally paid for the watch. Dial and bracelet plus the CS. I am quite shocked. However what bothered me more is that I was told the quote over the phone. Why can't I get an email (like breitling does) where I can check off what I want to be done and do it? My question is, is it normal for them to just call you with the quote? It just feels so unofficial.
Thanks!

Some folks might feel that a live phone conversation with an actual person is much better service than a generic email message from a faceless corporate account. :)

Like 1
Some folks might feel that a live phone conversation with an actual person is much better service than a generic email message from a faceless corporate account. :)
I can see that but what happened today was I got a call saying in addition to the CS, 1 item is required while 2 others are optional. a few hours later I got a call
saying it is actually two required and 1 optional. I was like what happened? it went from just over a 1k repair to a 2k repair. yikes for sure!

Which OB was this? A 7 year old watch I can't imagine that much required work unless you've massively abused the watch. And considering they didn't even actually see your watch, this is very unusual. Normally you'd just get a quote for cost of service only unless you requested specific additional work/part replacement to be done.

Like 1
I dont want to call out the OB just yet but tmr Im going to try to call the service center and actually find out what is going on. The advisor on the second call couldnt even tell me for sure if the "bracelet" is required or recommended. It's actually not my watch but imo there is no abuse, just heavy use, as in worn a lot.

also it was supposedly inspected at the swatch group in NJ.

This doesn't sound right to me either. For a standard service, Omega will typically replace worn movement parts, the main spring, seals, crown, the hands and the crystal (if acrylic) and these parts are normally included in the flat rate that Omega charges. If the watch needs more extensive work, then Omega would charge for things like a replacement bezel, sapphire crystal, etc., but 2k for a seven year old watch sounds very high to me unless the watch has seen severe use, water damage, etc. Which Omega model is this? Have you taken the watch to an independent watchmaker who is Omega certified and has an Omega parts account for an estimate?.

Like 2
Like posted above, Omega replaces many parts as part of the flat rate service and you will end up with a watch that looks and runs like a new one. A bracelet or a dial would quickly add up to a couple thousand dollars total in service costs. How bad could the bracelet be that they are recommending replacement, though? Usually they disassemble, clean, polish/brush, and replace worn or missing pins as part of the service. Maybe it's not the correct bracelet, maybe it's a really old bracelet? A really old watch?

What watch is it? It's a good question that's been asked several times with no answer.

Like 1
Hi all, this is a 2017 seamaster diver 300m. i was told the dial is required bc of water damage and then the bracelet as well but when I questioned the bracelet the advisor wavered and told me they will call the service center and get back to me. the bracelet is worn but still functional for sure. Yes I am thinking I need a second opinion. will keep everyone posted!

Hi all, this is a 2017 seamaster diver 300m. i was told the dial is required bc of water damage and then the bracelet as well but when I questioned the bracelet the advisor wavered and told me they will call the service center and get back to me. the bracelet is worn but still functional for sure. Yes I am thinking I need a second opinion. will keep everyone posted!
Ok, so this is an SMP gen 3. If the dial has water damage and needs to be replaced, the estimate is starting to make more sense. This is the high gloss no waves dial, correct? Replacing the bracelet still doesn't make sense to me unless there is significant rust or other damage that is not repairable.

Like 2
Ok, so this is an SMP gen 3. If the dial has water damage and needs to be replaced, the estimate is starting to make more sense. This is the high gloss no waves dial, correct? Replacing the bracelet still doesn't make sense to me unless there is significant rust or other damage that is not repairable.
I dont have the watch on me but it is this one:
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...00m-co-axial-chronometer-41-mm-21230412003001
so you are right! (I could have swore there were waves)
the bracelet quasi request also didnt make sense to me at all. also personally i saw no water damage, watch was running, maybe not cosc lol, but no fog or any indications of any kind. heck i an only 30 minutes away from secaucus, i mighr drive there today to ask the tech bc they dont pick up the phone lol.
Edited:

Why not just ask them to email you over the quote??

Like 1
Why not just ask them to email you over the quote??
When I had my breitling superocean serviced just recently everything was so well documented I did get an email and all the required repairs and suggested repairs were clear and explicit in the email. But with omega, when the OB told me they would call me with the quote, I was kinda surprised. I think I will ask them today to email me the quote with the clear necessary and optional repairs. Thanks for the suggestion.

also I bought this watch for my FIL back in 2017. He is around 70 right now but to my knowledge he wears the watch a lot. he wears it when he cooks, when he does yard work, washes the car etc. so imo the watch has been heavily worn/used but I personally would not consider that abuse. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice and will keep updating.
Edited:

I’ve never had a verbal quote from Omega. Everything’s always been documented, itemised and clearly stated which items are mandatory and optional.
I’m surprised they gave you it over the phone but it should be nothing of a job for them to send it to you

Like 2
Was it an official Omega branded/sanctioned/annointed "Boteek"?
Or an "AD"?

Like 2
I’ve never had a verbal quote from Omega. Everything’s always been documented, itemised and clearly stated which items are mandatory and optional.
I’m surprised they gave you it over the phone but it should be nothing of a job for them to send it to you
Wow now that makes my situation weird! Definitely gonna ask them for that quote in writing. Thanks!

Was it an official Omega branded/sanctioned/annointed "Boteek"?
Or an "AD"?
It is a "Boteek" in a mall in LI, thats all im gonna say right now lol.

BTW I had a bad experience with another Boteek in NJ one time and I will share that story at a later time :) I think this is why I am questioning this situation b4 I make my decision.
also with this repair being 700 min to 2k i am also very surprised they dont have it in writing with me confirming/approving in writing and paying first. Breitling had me email them my approval and send them payment before work begun.
The OB told me I can pay when I pick up the watch. Thats another annoying thing. I rather they send it to my house but they said insurance requires I pick up the watch (even though im paying $55 for them to ship to the service center and back)
Edited:

Just got back from the service center at Secaucus and everything is fine! I did try calling before I went there and today the phones for
omega SA and the service center were both not working. Anyways, I will go ahead and do the complete service with the new dial. The bracelet is optional and I will put that off for now. Who knows, we might switch to rubber or leather or get an aftermarket OR even an OEM off a GM seller.
Just want to give a shout out to the people at 55 Metro Way, they were very helpful and friendly. Next time Ill just drop off the watch (and yes I have a ladies white speedy that is there for service as well, so my wallet will be sore haha)
Thanks all!

But what's wrong with the bracelet? If you send it in wuth the watch, it should come back looking like new. Maybe your FIL just wore it the f--- out and they don't think it's capable of being restored to any standard? Just looking out because you may want a bracelet later and if you're current one can possibly be restored, get it restored because it's going to cost a lot to get one later. Just a thought.

But what's wrong with the bracelet? If you send it in wuth the watch, it should come back looking like new. Maybe your FIL just wore it the f--- out and they don't think it's capable of being restored to any standard? Just looking out because you may want a bracelet later and if you're current one can possibly be restored, get it restored because it's going to cost a lot to get one later. Just a thought.

it is worn as in a "stretched/sag" out if that makes sense, and they said if they polish it, it might break during the process so i told them dont polish it and ill worry about that later. the current bracelet still works so ill worry about it later when it does break. not exactly like brakes and rotors on a vehicle lol

also it looks like the pins are possibly a little bent from wear and tear so i asked them if they can just change those but they declined. the links are fine. I might just diy a fix or get a bracelet at a later time at an AD or GM
Edited: