Forums Latest Members

Service question for JLC owners

1. Alex_TA Feb 4, 2015

Hi
    My current collection includes Speedmaster 9300, Grand Seiko SBGA031 and Zenith Pilot Big Date Special. I want to add the last ultimative watch which should serve as a star and a decoration of my collection :)
    I think about JLC Moon or Calendar but I am perplexed by the many posts on the Internet about breakdowns and poor quality of service.

It's true or an exaggeration?

Edited Feb 4, 2015
  2. NT931 Feb 4, 2015

I own a Master Moon, and @adam78 owns a Master Calendar, and no, we haven't had any issues with ours so far. @Archer has also had the Master Moon in the past, IIRC no issues there too. Several members here (@SpikiSpikester @Privateday7 ) also own several JLCs, as I do, and so far AFAIK no major issues.

All brands have had models with problems, which require fixing. While forums do have a selection bias in highlighting or amplifying problems, my personal sense (not based on any concrete statistics, but merely an impression) is that it does afflict JLC too, but not dramatically more or less than most other brands. If anyone has more concrete data, that would be helpful too!

And as for a JLC being the last ultimate watch that serves as a star of your collection, good luck with that. I started with one, thinking that would be the only JLC I'd ever own, and ended up with a few more ...::facepalm2:: The Master Calendar is a lovely watch, and the new meteorite dial looks very interesting indeed... if you like it, go for it!

Alex_TA likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Feb 4, 2015

Can't say if it's true or not, but calendar mechanisms can be very touchy and aren't something to tinker with or fool around with. Set it and leave it - don't play with the adjustor buttons.

Watches like you're talking about are instruments, not tools.

.... and I've heard from several owners of a certain Patek Perpetual that the particular calendar mechanism in that particular model isn't so hot either.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 4, 2015

I have owned 2 JLC's - a Master Moon, and a Master Compressor Memovox. I still have the Master Compressor Memovox, but sold the Master Moon some time ago. I had the Master moon for several years - going to say maybe 6 years total, and it never missed a beat. I used the correctors when needed and there were no issues with the watch at all, including the calendar mechanism.

In a full calendar watch like this one, the mechanism is simple - no different really than on an ETA 7750 in terms of complexity, so they are not particularly delicate. Same goes for the moon phase, which again is very simple in a watch like this, with just a wheel that turns 1/2 a rotation with every cycle of the moon. This is not an annual or perpetual calendar that would be much more complex, so honestly with the model you are considering I would not give it a second thought.

For service on a modern watch, parts are a problem as Richemont is the most difficult large conglomerate when it comes to selling parts, so you will be stuck with the service center. Personally I would never trust the Canadian service center with my watch based on some of the work I've had to fix that they have done so poorly, but fortunately they would ship my watch to Switzerland if I took it there anyway.

Cheers, Al

NT931 and Alex_TA like this.
  5. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 4, 2015

As NT mentioned, I have a Master Calendar, and it's running flawlessly (have it on a winder when it's not on my wrist), but it is less than a year old.

Alex_TA likes this.
  6. Alex_TA Feb 4, 2015

I have exactly one free place on my Wolf winder so if (big IF) I'll go for it I will not play much with adjustors.

7. kennethcooke Apr 15, 2015

I have a JLC Duo Time, it is 4 years old, prior to that I had a JLC Grand Taille which went back to JLC for service as I was planning to upgrade to the Duo Time. I hit the Swiss Holidays so it's return was longer than expected, however it came back like a new watch Reverso-jlc-2718410.png

Alex_TA likes this.