Forums Latest Members
  1. spankye Nov 20, 2015

Hi all, new to the forums here and enjoy all the expert content. I recently got married and my wife got me a 50's era Seamaster. A few weeks after the wedding I took it to my local watchmaker as it is running around 1 minute slow per day. It needs a service, which i'm not too surprised by but the quote seems expensive. I'm looking at $650 in labor and $150'ish in parts. She paid $500 for the watch, which i will add is completely original...crown, hands, crystal, caseback, and original unfinished dial. I dont mind the extra cost as it's sentimental value, but is this a reasonable cost to service an older Omega?

2. Canuck Nov 20, 2015

Welcome,

Sounds to me as though the labor cost is $650.00! I'd sure like to be able to get those kinds of prices for my work! You really should check around and get another quote or two. And I would suggest that you deal directly with the guy who is going to actually do the work! There may be exceptions, but stay away from jewellery stores and watch stores in shopping malls. Most of them ship their work out to trade work shops. Many of whom are not likely the best choice to trust with a 60-70 year old watch. If you need references, get back to us.

cicindela and novina like this.
  3. novina Nov 20, 2015

When I got my 60's era Seamaster Automatic, I was quoted $250 for the movement service. In addition he also quoted me $80 for a new crystal and $120 for new crown and stem. Total of $450 for a caliber 550. Did they break it down besides parts and labor? But $650 in labor would be a lot of extra work done for issues that you probably do not have. Do as Canuck recommends. Even if you have to ship it, it may be a lot less than this place you went to.

4. cristos71 Nov 20, 2015

I agree with the comments above, you should be looking at around €150 - €250 for the service plus parts on top. If there are parts needed insist that the WM lets you know what is needed and how much it will all cost before proceeding.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 20, 2015

Sounds quite high by three times, shouldn't be more than $200 or so for a simple time only 50's Seamaster.

Get a second or third quote.

And if parts are to be replaced be sure to ask for the old ones back.

6. italy1861 Nov 20, 2015

Like mentioned above, get a breakdown. If it parts and labor for $650, it's very possible depending what needs replacing. If it's $650 for labor only, run away!

7. spankye Nov 20, 2015

Thanks everyone. $650 is labor only. I don't know a ton about watches but i've read enough to know this sounds high for my era of watch.They say it is super dry and hasn't been serviced in a long time. The local watchmaker in town gets great reviews and seems to be highly certified (WOSTEP, CW21, etc), but I'd rather not spend more than i have to. I'll google watchmakers but if anyone has recommendations I would be open to hearing them. I'll post pics of the watch when i get it back.

8. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Nov 21, 2015

$650 is really high for that type of movement, like Canuck says wish I could charge those rates around here, I could retire early...

Too bad your not in the EU, I could help you out, but I am guessing that you are in the USA.

Suggest you find another source for the work, even if it requires shipping the watch.

Rob
    BHI Certified Professional Watchmaker, www.roberthoran.eu

9. spankye Nov 21, 2015

Thanks again for all the responses. I am picking the watch up today and will send it out. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for good, honest service in the US?

10. Canuck Nov 21, 2015

Easier for us to make a recommendation if you gave us an idea of your general geographic area.

11. spankye Nov 21, 2015

I'm in NC, but really dont mind shipping. Of course if I could meet the watchmaker that would be a bonus. So maybe someone in NC, SC, or Georgia?

12. Canuck Nov 21, 2015

13. spankye Nov 21, 2015

Thanks!