Service of my 1973 Omega Geneve 1660163

My 1973 Omega watch is at the service center and is been overhauled. I opted not to replate it was far too expensive for me to justify.

My watchmaker is a Omega approved, so they need to replace the generic crystal and the worn crown and stem. I asked if I could keep the crystal but they told me they had to replace it as the quote is the full package,and the only thing they could remove is the hard gold replate.

I have been informed it will take 8 to 10 weeks to complete. I just wanted a replate at first however they can't do any work to an omega watch without servicing and installing genuine parts.

I will attach an edited version of the quote below. eveything is in AUD.

View attachment 1578359

View attachment 1578347
View attachment 1578349

Not sure if you are inviting comment or have a question, but what strikes me is that you are about to spend way more than the value of the watch, even once serviced. That is a fairly unexceptional 70s piece in not very great condition and they are asking big bucks to put it into a marginally nicer condition. If it has a significance to you that means money is no concern, then all good, but I wouldn't be throwing big bucks at that. Is there something in the 'Cyclone' text that trebles the value of the watch?

I agree with @padders. I would not be investing anything into that watch given its condition, and certainly not more than $700 USD (excluding the replating). In your previous thread, you said it was running well, so maybe you could just enjoy it for a while, then sell it and buy something better. Watches in plated cases have a very limited upside, especially if the case is in bad shape.
Edited:

You could buy a very nice similar watch for that kind of money and actually have a nice watch in the end.

Yes, I sold a similarly cased 613 Geneve about a year ago for £350, and was pleased to find a buyer. Mine was serviced and in as nice or nicer condition

Does the watch have some sentimental value? If you're going to spend that much money on it, I would have it replated. ReplateIT in Canada is pretty reasonable and does good work. https://www.replateit.com/. If it does not have sentimental value, I agree with the opinions above.

Does the watch have some sentimental value? If you're going to spend that much money on it, I would have it replated. ReplateIT in Canada is pretty reasonable and does good work. https://www.replateit.com/. If it does not have sentimental value, I agree with the opinions above.

In his previous thread on the watch, he indicated it was a recent purchase. And you can also see the (horrific) condition of the case.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/question-about-my-vintage-omega-geneve.157157/

There are watches worth spending that money on but that isn’t one of them, I picked up an example of this exact reference in steel in January for a family friend that was pretty much mint for $260 AUD and had it serviced for $400 AUD using a generic crystal (didn’t need a crown).

These are cheap entry level watches and the one you bought is in very bad condition to start with and not worth much.

I picked up an example of this exact reference in steel in January for a family friend that was pretty much mint for $260 AUD

Even if those movements aren’t the most desirable, that still seems like a lot of watch for the money. 👍

There are watches worth spending that money on but that isn’t one of them, I picked up an example of this exact reference in steel in January for a family friend that was pretty much mint for $260 AUD and had it serviced for $400 AUD using a generic crystal (didn’t need a crown).

These are cheap entry level watches and the one you bought is in very bad condition to start with and not worth much.
Thank you I will still get it serviced despite what you are telling me to do since 1 I really like this watch and 2 not everything comes down to money and how how much it is worth since is worth more than money to me given it's history and the story it has. And I rather it work well then be working and destroying itself internally. As it was dusty and no oils.

Thank you I will still get it serviced despite what you are telling me to do since 1 I really like this watch and 2 not everything comes down to money and how how much it is worth since is worth more than money to me given it's history and the story it has. And I rather it work well then be working and destroying itself internally. As it was dusty and no oils.
And so your purpose for posting was?

And so your purpose for posting was?

To be fair, he didn't really ask any questions. I guess it was an announcement.

You can get a service from a local watchmaker for a heck of a lot less likely < 400aud. 🤔