Forums Latest Members
  1. Zach Jul 9, 2012

So I posted recently a caliber 560 piece I found.

Having tested the watch for a few days now, it seems to be holding at a (consistent) 60 seconds slow per day.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this time variation (consistent -60 a day) acceptable for the caliber 560?

And if not:

2) Is this an indication that it is time for a full service, or merely a regulation?

3) If it needs a full service, is it safe to give the watch normal use for a month or so until I can get it into a watchmaker?

And finally:

4) Is the recommended service interval for vintage pieces once in 5 years, or is it shorter? When these vintage pieces need to be serviced, should I get them serviced through Omega, or are independent watchmakers fine?

Thanks for your time!

2. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

1) No. Any 56x series is capable of much better rates, easily within 10 seconds or less a day.

2) I never count on a used watch being "recently serviced" unless I see the invoice for the job no matter who I buy it from. It's best to spend the money to have it done yourself. Consider it insurance.

3) Get it done right away so you don't risk damaging anything.

4) If you wear a mechanical every day then 5-ish years is about right. Modern oils hold their viscosity longer than when that 5 year rule was suggested so you could probably go a couple years longer, particularly if you don't wear it daily. If you know your watch's regular pattern then it will tell you it's in need of a service when it gets erratic.

3. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

Yes, they aren't hard for a qualified watchmaker to work on. Start a conversation with member N2FHL / Steve about servicing it.