Forums Latest Members
  1. timoss May 28, 2019

There seems to be some variation in original dials for the 166.037 out there. Some with "120" some without. Some with TT some without, etc. Is there one that can be specifically ID'd as a service dial? Or are these variations--excepting redials--all "correct"?

2. AriTheWatchmaker May 29, 2019

TT is usually a newer dial so likely a service dial for most vintage Omegas. It means markers are done with newer style luminous so it will have a whiter color usually.
    ari

3. timoss May 29, 2019

TT is often NOT a service dial on many omegas, though (depending on vintage, of course). Assuming we are talking about watches of the correct years (ie, ones after the TT started to appear due to various country's requirements), are you saying a TT dial on an SM120 would automatically be a service dial?

4. ChrisN May 29, 2019

5. timoss May 29, 2019

Thanks, yes I did see this thread. It did not specifically state what identifies a service dial on these watches, though it infers one with a "swiss made" but no TT and no dashes is a service dial (like yours pictured)....

6. ChrisN May 29, 2019

Definitely mine is a service dial as I bought and fitted it. I know people say there are some exceptions with some models but if it has Tritium and is post (about) 1963, then it should be marked with T. I am pretty sure that this law came in around that time in Switzerland.

Do you have a picture of the dial on the watch you are considering?

Regards, Chris

7. timoss May 29, 2019

I thought the T was phased in over many years in different areas of the world depending on local requirements, so there isn't a specifc year cutoff after which everything has a T...? In any case, I don't have a specific watch I'm looking at just trying to understand what to look for, etc.

8. ChrisN May 29, 2019

I believe, after some research a long time ago so I might not be 100% accurate with this, that the Swiss introduced the law in the early sixties. It wouldn't make sense to make dials that differed for each country and you should meet the legal aspects of the country you're manufacturing in so it should be the Swiss law that applies. I seem to remember a thread on here a few years ago discussing the theory that some dials don't have the T marking but I've not seen any variation on this particular model.

I think you'll have to take it on a case by case basis. Good luck finding one in good condition:thumbsup:.

Cheers, Chris

9. timoss May 29, 2019

Thanks for the input. I believe it was just for a few years after the law (rule?) came into effect that the T may or may not be present, before the T became standard across the board. At least that is the case for certain Omega models (Speedys etc.).