Forums Latest Members

Service Dials for Limited Edition Speedmasters

1. omegamike May 5, 2019

First of all, I want to make it clear - I am all for custom Speedmasters and Speedmaster mods - as long as they are not sold, or fully transparent in the sale. I have seen a few "racing" speedmasters and even "snoopy" speedmasters that are really just dial and handset mods. I wonder how hard it is to get these dials and hands. I would love to do a Speedy Tuesday (panda) mod someday, but how could I get my hands on one of these dials and handsets. Does anyone know? Is this the unspoken hush hush world of modding, or is it considered ok? Attached are some photos from a racing set off the bay.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
    LeonDeBayonne and fskywalker like this.
  2. gpssti4 May 5, 2019

Some people like it some don’t. I’m all for it on modern watches as long as it can be reversed. In fact I’m doing a Mitsukoshi mod to my Speedy sometime soon(ish). I already have the dial and am looking for some hands that I like. I’d love a racing dial too someday.

Is there a link to the eBay page with the dial you’ve shown?

omegamike likes this.
  3. ext1 May 5, 2019

Speedy tuesday mod will be impossible, because Omega only allows now LE parts to be gotten in exchange for old parts.

omegamike, fskywalker and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Evitzee May 5, 2019

I'm generally against these sorts of mods, like putting a meteorite dial on a stainless steel Daytona. It strikes me as being fake, like buying a $40 Rolex on Canal St. and trying to fool people. Not exactly the same, of course, but you are still trying to represent something that's not real. Lots of different opinions on this.

omegamike likes this.
  5. ext1 May 5, 2019

It’s real to you. Just might not be to others. As long as you’re transparent about it I see no issue.

(general “you”)

omegamike likes this.
  6. 77deluxe May 5, 2019

It’s your watch, so long as you’re not trying to scam anyone, do what you like.

omegamike and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 5, 2019

I have had a modded 35th anniversary for 5+ years. There was a time when most of the dials could be purchased on eBay for about $250.

This is a 20th anniversary. I still have hands and dial, and may convert back at some point.

80.jpg

8. nismo May 5, 2019

I have a modded FOIS. I still have the original dial, but a more period-correct one is fitted. It was done by an Omega authorized service center watchmaker (also has vintage service part crown, caseback, hands, and hesalite).

This guy sells Omega dials. I have no affiliation with him: https://www.swisslimitededitions.com/speedmaster-dials

omegamike likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 5, 2019

Some are still available from Omega with a parts account, some where available. Both appear on eBay. The newest ones are all exchange parts only.

omegamike likes this.
  10. speedyproftw May 6, 2019

Some of the LE dials are readily available online, but I've never seen the white Snoopy or Speedy Tuesday dials for sale. As far as I'm concerned, it's your watch once you buy it so do to it what you like. But certainly be honest about everything if you ever decide to sell it. I have done a few mods but always keep all of the original parts as well.

omegamike likes this.
  11. chum_2000_uk May 6, 2019

I really don't get why people get so uptight about modded watches. I've not modded a watch, but most things I own that are valuable I tend to mod - I like having things exactly how I want them (not how the manufacturer tells me I should have it for the price I paid). If its something I own I'll do with it as I please.

As others have said, unless you then try to punt it on without being transparent about exactly what it is (and isn't), then I have absolutely no problem with it.

In fact, I'm very tempted to try and get my hands on a Speedmaster modded to Mitsukoshi spec, or get the bits to have it modded myself.

omegamike likes this.
  12. fskywalker May 6, 2019

I'm mod friendly, have made many mods to several watches over the last few years. Would love too to get my hands on the Speedy Tuesday 1 dial, but as said above should be almost impossible to source

omegamike and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  13. Vega Mike May 7, 2019

Each to their own........I don’t see the harm, what one does with their watch is their business, as long as they are not trying to sell it on to others as an original Omega LE.

Personally, i couldn’t modify a watch like a speedmaster to make it look like a LE or any other. It would eat at me knowing it was an imitation and no original.

omegamike likes this.
  14. LeonDeBayonne May 7, 2019

Like some of my comrades above, I approve mods as long as they can be reversed and as long as there is no misunderstanding (in case of resale). By the way, most vintage watches have experienced dial, hands, pushers swaps..., so I do not really understand why this should be a problem with modern watches and not with vintage ones. At least, you can track changes with modern watches.

omegamike likes this.