Forums Latest Members
  1. MMariotti Jul 8, 2019

Dear all,

After looking at some alternatives for servicing in Singapore, I was recommended Bonfield for the servicing of my 1989 Speedmaster. The watch was in good condition but needed servicing. After sending it, I received:

1) Functioning watch but not functioning hour hand in the hour subdial (not moving)

After sending it back for a second time, this happened

2) Hour hand in the hour subdial never disengaging, even if the chronograph was disengaged

So I sent it a 3rd time, this time everything is working but

3) paint on the minute and hour subdial's hands is scratched and the main minute hand has a whole.

Now, what should I do? Definitely I don't want this dude to touch the watch again. I would like to have the hands fixed, but I'd rather have tritium hands and I am not sure what is going to be the cost.

I feel so stupid, no idea what to do. I care about this watch so much and now it's worse than before.

Any recommendations on where to go and what to do?

Pictures in chronological order of all the issues I had

Michele

MVIMG_20190313_115206.jpg 1462155253.png MVIMG_20190708_174107.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 8, 2019

I am sorry to hear and see those issues...wish people that dont know how to service a speedmaster would just have a conscience and recommend someone else.
    The cam screw adjustment for the hour-recorder operating lever is probably adjusted too far, so it now doesnt brake properly- "hour recorder creep" or "drift" is how breitling referred to it (they used the same lemania 1873 for about 20 years).
    The hand could be repainted and/or relumed, but a new set is something like $144 retail list (each hand is about $20-ish now USDollars). The marks are from the watchmaker not using plastic when removing the hands or using the wrong tool for the hand removal...
    Got a warranty? Otherwise find someplace that has a trained wm and access to omega parts directly. Can be a challenge to find, since most stores misrepresent their watch repair staff as "master watchmakers", but i bet other members can advise.
    The issue is that there are some movement parts that can get damaged in disassembly and reassembly during movement service, so a competent wm that knows the movement should do the work.

Etp095 and MMariotti like this.
  3. MMariotti Jul 8, 2019

Thank you.

The issue is that the minute hand is a tritium one, so I'll need to get a replacement, and I don't even know where to start with that. And if he damaged the hands like that, I can only imagine what happened to the movement.

I have a warranty, but I am not sure I want to have him touching the watch any longer

Etp095 likes this.