Forums Latest Members
  1. Buff Jul 25, 2012

a very reputable vintage watch shop is charging me $1045 for complete service on my 1950 Omega automatic. THis seems excessive but the owner insisted not many people knew how to service the watch. I have no doubt in their credentials or ability but the cost does seem high. Even showed me the OMEGA manual that listed the service cost for the particular calibre..... thoughts anyone?

2. ulackfocus Jul 25, 2012

That's INSANE! :eek: A bumper isn't that hard to service. :rolleyes: Contact Steve (member N2FHL - start a conversation with him here) about it.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2012

The owner is a bullshit artist, walk away mate. Omega made millions of those automatics and both parts and expertise are widely available, where are you located, we'll find you someone in the general area. Depending on parts and how good or bad the condition is you can expect $250-400 or so.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2012

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 25, 2012

CRAZY!

That may be what Omega charges but they aren't Omega.

BTW, I've seen the Omega service price list and it truly is OUTRAGEOUS.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2012

Omega at least give you an international warranty and service papers along with some piece of mind in the knowledge that replacement parts are from the mothership and not scavenged from eBay donor watches.

This guy claiming nobody knows how to service bumpers and charging that much as if he's some master artisan for knowing how to clean and lube a Cal 352 is a pirate.

7. Buff Jul 25, 2012

I got the name of the company off of this forum as a local Atlanta Omega service center. The watch is currently at the shop now and I am awaiting a phone call. If anyone can help me find someone else in Atlanta that would be suitable, I would appreciate it. (ps- that is the watch in "new omega owner) and I am choosing not to refinish the dial and leave it original)

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2012

Hmmm so its Womble? I think Himmel only listed that under the General Omega (modern) topic rather than vintage but either way I might pull them down if that's the case.

9. Buff Jul 25, 2012

Yes- Womble... I am suprised the owner does not frequent this forum......

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2012

Yea, I don't know him, one member (himmelblau) just compiled that list two years ago as a general guide, he's not been here in about a year himself though

11. Buff Jul 30, 2012

Planning to pick up the watch this week to regroup and decide what the revised plan is. I am in no rush but would like to have it serviced and the crown replaced for less than the premium thats already been discussed. Looking for some reputable options in the Atlanta area. I am willing to ship it also but prefer not to. Thank you.