Forums Latest Members
  1. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

Been recommended to Swiss Time Services centre for servicing in Hockley by a forum member.I have cal 600 and cal 565, they fall around category 3.

Does anyone have an approximate idea of a full or partial service cost? I emailed them and tried to call them today and no answer. They are probably still on easter break.

Just handy to know, in case anyone has a rough idea.

Cheers

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Most watchmakers won't do a partial service, STS would almost certainly fall into that category. The Calibre 600 and 565 are very simple basic cheap movements to service so you'll almost certainly be better off going to a smaller independent. On a 321 or 320 or something high end STS is worth the money, on a Calibre 600 Seamaster or Geneve that's only worth $250-400 pre-service you're potentially spending twice or more the watch's value to overhaul it.

3. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

Thanks Dsio. Can anyone personaly recommend through good experience a reliable UK based service centre that will do an honest job for a resonable price?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

I've had @stefan work on a 321 Moonwatch before and he did an excellent job for a very reasonable price.

5. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

Thanks I will send him a message

6. imexian Apr 6, 2015

I agree, i have purchased a 67 speedy from him, its fantastic condition. almost fresh from Omega factory!!
    Not cheap, but you gets what you pay for...

7. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

Thanks guys just sent him a message

8. Steve1haggart Apr 6, 2015

I've had two watches serviced at STS in the past 6 month not the fastest but a good job none all the same , my only concern is that there are too quick at time to replacing part that are not necessary required , For instances replace the glass and the crown that really didn't need replacing twice now I've been quoted for these items to be replace when there's nothing really wrong with them .....but it's a business there running at the end of the day .. And we are trying to keep our time pieces as genuine and athentic as posible .

9. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

The Seamaster from 62 (cal 600) and 1969 geneve (cal 565) are not the most expensive items to buy. Of course the responsibility is there to service, just like a car it is a necessary expense.

I know sending it to Omega at the head office will be about £440 each. Then respected watch jewlerers in London like Austin Kaye say about £300 to £350. Another guy in The Strand in London (Alsal Watches) was saying approximately between £200 - £250. They all talk about a complete strip down, clean, re oil and resemble.

It is getting the balance of service cost correct in relation to the watch I think.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Yea exactly, you don't want to be paying crazy money on watches that are not hugely expensive. Once again a 321 Speedmaster is a totally different story, a £200 - £250 service on a vintage Moonwatch can easily end up costing you many, many times more than that in the long run if its done my someone without the experience, tools and resources to a price like that.

11. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

Yeah cal 321 is a different league to my cal 600 and 565 for sure.

What should I aim to pay on each. What should I realistically expect to be done? Take it strip down, clean, re oil?

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

Just a normal full service, let the watchmaker decide the appropriate action to take but make it a mechanical overhaul and "as best as can be done" re-seal without any aesthetic work or polishing. Most watchmakers will not do part repairs as they cannot guarantee their work unless they know that all parts have been inspected, cleaned, lubricated and tested. Then they know they can sign off on it to their satisfaction that the watch is in good order and provide remedy if it doesn't.

You'll actually see many serious watchmakers with "No part repairs" clearly displayed for that reason.

13. watchtinker Apr 6, 2015

Gentlemen, let's be serious: the 320/321 caliber is not a high end caliber: it is simply a basic, robust and very,very classic cronograph. What about a minute repeater, then? Rocket science? ;)

14. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

That makes sense. I contacted @stefan and noticed a Mr Archer on the forum who is a watchmaker. Let's see what they say. The watches keep good time at moment. It is nothing urgent, will have to be done in the future though.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2015

I never said it was a high end calibre, I said it was a high end watch. Which in 2015, it definitely is. :coffee:

16. PatrickJ Apr 6, 2015

It's ok. Have communicated with Stefan and it is all very realistic and plausible considering where the watch sits in the relative scale of things.

Thanks for the help guys.