Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchAndy Sep 25, 2018

Hi Omega friends!

My first post! Been lurking around for some time and love this forum! The knowledge many of you have is impressive!

I’ve just got bought my first vintage Omega, a Speedmaster pre-moon/transitional 1968, 145.022 with DON bezel. He is going in for a service soon and need some expert advice:

1. Both my chrono pushers have lost a chip and reset pusher is stuck and currently not working. I have got my hands on 2 x 086ST-0059 (NOS) pushers and should I change them or let my watchmaker try to fix the original pushers? Will it devalue the watch with NOS pushers? See attached pictures. What do you guys think?

2. The second hand is not entirely straight. The last/upper part is bending a bit to the left. Is this an easy fix for a proper watchmaker? Warm it up and gently try to align it straight? Anyone familiar with this? I do not want to replace the hands or re-lume as I intend to keep the watch as original as possible.

3. The watch came in a red Omega box, is this the correct box for this model/year? Red box delivered in Europe and black/grey box to the US market?

Attached pictures of the watch, box, pushers and a close-up of the second hand.

In advance, thanks a lot for comments and advice!

//Andy

IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1231.jpg IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1233.jpg omega box red.JPG
    onthedial and Etp095 like this.
  2. boogedyboo Sep 25, 2018

Congrats on the transitional Speedmaster, these are pretty rare.

1) The pushers look pretty far gone to be repaired, looks like there is missing metal material.

2) Chrono hand looks like it can be aligned straight

3) Box looks like a slightly more modern version but I am not 100% sure on this

Edited Sep 25, 2018
    WatchAndy likes this.
  3. ext1 Sep 25, 2018

Congrats and welcome!

You should order an extract to see where it was delivered to. Should help you with the box issue

WatchAndy likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2018

The hand is an easy fix - no heating required, just someone who knows how to bend hands properly. Common thing for any watchmaker...

dan7800 and WatchAndy like this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 25, 2018

How do hands get bent typically?. We often see minute hands with a bend too. Poor service?.

Oh and, get those pushers serviced.

WatchAndy likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2018

Hard to say - sometimes they get out of level due to a drop of the watch, then they catch on another hand and get bent.

On this example the date window frame came loose, and it ended up wrapping the seconds hand around...

[​IMG]

I would imagine that sometimes careless handling during a service could be the cause, but if the watchmaker is paying attention at all they would straighten something like a chronograph hand to enable it to be lined up properly on installation, so the OP's example is one where the only thing I could think of is that there was some hand interference and the tip of the chronograph seconds recording hand was bent when the time was move backwards...maybe...

WatchAndy likes this.
  7. WatchAndy Sep 25, 2018

Thanks for all replies guys, much appreciated :) Pushers will be changed and hopefully my watchmaker will straighten the second hand. Will post some new pics after service.

8. Dan S Sep 25, 2018

I'd like to see the pushers. Are you sure that they are original period correct NOS pushers and not service pushers? I suspect they are just service pushers, and installing them will affect the value of the watch. Not tremendously, but ...

You should try to find some period correct pushers. These models are getting more and more valuable, and it's not the time to start installing service parts in my opinion.

9. WatchAndy Sep 26, 2018

Hi Dan S. Please see pictures of the pushers. Omega 086ST 0059. I do not which period these are from or if they deviate from the original pushers. I was told these are identical to mine. What do you think?

omg pusher.JPG
  10. Dan S Sep 26, 2018

These look like standard service pushers, and that's exactly how they appear to have been advertised.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2018

Doesn't matter - the pushers are all the same at this point, and the same as the current replacements.

WatchAndy and Dan S like this.
  12. 1972Steve Sep 26, 2018

Good insight here. I too am restoring a 68 Speedmaster and have been scanning EBay for correct hands. Most seem chipped and others very bent. I had no idea they could be bent back. Hopefully accurately.

13. 1972Steve Sep 26, 2018

Forgot to mention welcome to the club Andy. Some really neat people on this site. And you will learn a lot from their experience. Good luck with your 68Tranny. Super neat watch without the added stress of finding parts for the 321 movement.

14. WatchAndy Sep 26, 2018

Thanks 1972Steve! Good you also learnt that hands can be bent back :)

15. Caliber561 Sep 26, 2018

I believe that these are aftermarket pushers, not genuine omega pieces.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2018

Based on what exactly?