Forums Latest Members
  1. zibello Jan 3, 2014

Hi there.

How does one has to read the serial numbers of vintage Omegas?
    I am after a 166.022 tool 105.
    What is the difference between this watch and a 166.026? What is the meaning of "tool" ?

Does anybody know?

Best,
    G.

2. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2014

Tool 105 is the Omega specific tool needed to open the watch case. You can find these for sale on eBay and other places.

Omega has normally no serial numbers on the outside of the watch, the number you are referring to is a model reference, and not a serial number. The serial number will be found engraved on your movement. You need tool 105 to gain access to this;) !

The reference may be decoded by the following table:
    Case reference table.jpg

3. zibello Jan 3, 2014

Norternman, thank you.
    I have an additional question:
    If the number 166.022 identifies just the model, do you know how to read it? For example, what is the difference between SM Cosmic 166.022 and 166.026? In photo, they look just the same with some minor cosmetic differences. Is there any specific rule applied or is it just something decided by the Factory for their own purposes?
    Best,
    G.

4. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2014

Hi! The last digits is a number chosen by Omega to keep track of the different products. Nothing to be found by decoding it.
    In order to find more info on this, Omega has their own Vintage Database available for use (referred to as OVD in here). Examples:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14310
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15007

I can see that the 026 is listed as not having luminous hands.

Note: When you search in OVD you must use 4 digits for the reference (166.022 is searched like 166.0022 and so on).

Good luck!

5. zibello Jan 3, 2014

Thank you!
    Vert best,
    G

6. one eyed Jack Dec 28, 2018

This is quite an old thread, I have 3 stainless Cosmic cases, 166.026, 166.00026, and a third which is 165.026
    I am looking to replace the case of my 565 date automatic.This has had damage to the rear of the case, an indent which seems to be preventing the rotor from rotating, are any or all likely to fit