Serial number removed from movement? (2531.80/1120)

Hi OF, I purchased a Seamaster Diver 300M (2531.80) a little over a month ago from a dealer on Chrono24, and all had been ok, but I finally opened up the caseback the other day and noticed that the serial number appears to have been scratched off of the movement?! (Caliber 1120).

The watch was described as having just been fully serviced and running perfectly with "all original parts", and since it's not exactly a reference known to have movement swapping issues (to my knowledge), I guess I overlooked asking for a movement photo.

So my question is, why would the serial have been scratched off? Could it have been to hide the fact that the movement was swapped, perhaps not even from the same reference? And do you think it is cause for concern? And/or cause to complain to the seller? Thanks in advance.

Not uncommon on gray market watches.

Like 2
Not uncommon on gray market watches.
Ah so are you saying that perhaps the movement is still original but the serial was scratched when it was first sold as gray?

Like 1
Ah so are you saying that perhaps the movement is still original but the serial was scratched when it was first sold as gray?

That would be my educated guess.

Like 4
Probably done by the original vendor who received the watch from the manufacturer/distributor.
When they want to flog it to grey dealers they remove the serial so it cant be traced back to them.

Manufacturers aren't big fans of the grey market.

Like 1
Is there still a serial visible on the rear of the lug? If so then I would suspect a movement swap since it would make no sense to remove it from one place only, if not and both are absent then it's more likely a grey sale, yes.

Like 1
Is there still a serial visible on the rear of the lug? If so then I would suspect a movement swap since it would make no sense to remove it from one place only, if not and both are absent then it's more likely a grey sale, yes.
I don't see any serial on any lug rear, are you sure that's expected for this reference?
Edited:

The serial should be on one of the lugs for this reference. Here's my 2531.80.

1000016379.jpg

Like 1
Hopefully you got a good deal on the watch.

It should be on this lug I believe. Maybe they polished it away? It certainly looks like it.

upload_2024-5-19_2-24-17.png

The star stamp on one of the lugs is a quality inspection thing that Omega does. It means it was selected randomly for inspection.

Like 1
One of the first things I check on neo-vintage SMP300's on Chrono24/Ebay is for the serial number to be present on the lug.

In any case (no pun intended), your case looks in great condition. Does not look like it has been polished much.

Anybody know if a Speedmaster/Seamaster is purchased today on Jomashop, will they polish away the serial number?

Like 1
Hopefully you got a good deal on the watch.
Do you say that because its worth significantly less with these issues? Do you think no serial on the movement AND case implies more than just a gray market sale?

I should also say that the watch did come with boxes AND papers (including a *blank* warranty card), but perhaps that was added at some point to try to give the watch more legitimacy? (I thought it added some piece of mind, but little did I know!).

FWIW, l paid $2450, which also included a recent full service (which I figured would be worth ~$700 from an Omega authorized watchmaker). My priority was a tritium dial and in excellent overall condition, which it is, and I still haven't seen many tritum dials in this overall condition recently serviced for any cheaper. But perhaps a lesson learned in terms of being more of a stickler for the serial number, even on a watch like this?

How much would you devalue it for this issue? Would you complain to the seller for not having advertised it as such? (Even if just out of principle)...
Edited:

Does it include the original bracelet or watch only? If it didn't have the serial problem and comes with a bracelet, with the service and condition (beautiful deep blue bezel) you'd have had a solid deal.

As it is, personally I wouldn't have bought it. I'd always be bothered by the polished lug and scratched up movement. Worth considering is resale, as if you ever get bored of it and want to sell, you'll need to explain the missing serials.

As for the seller, someone honest would have mentioned the missing serials and adjusted the price accordingly. It's easy to miss something you don't even expect. I personally think it's a big deal and would complain to the seller.

Like 2
Do you say that because its worth significantly less with these issues? Do you think no serial on the movement AND case implies more than just a gray market sale?

I should also say that the watch did come with boxes AND papers (including a *blank* warranty card), but perhaps that was added at some point to try to give the watch more legitimacy? (I thought it added some piece of mind, but little did I know!).

FWIW, l paid $2450, which also included a recent full service (which I figured would be worth ~$700 from an Omega authorized watchmaker). My priority was a tritium dial and in excellent overall condition, which it is, and I still haven't seen many tritum dials in this overall condition recently serviced for any cheaper. But perhaps a lesson learned in terms of being more of a stickler for the serial number, even on a watch like this?

How much would you devalue it for this issue? Would you complain to the seller for not having advertised it as such? (Even if just out of principle)...
I have know idea how much this watch is worth, these models aren't really in my wheelhouse. But yes, it would be a lot harder to sell with the serial numbers removed. Many buyers will just walk away from it, since it's such a common model and they have many other options. If you're going to keep it forever and don't plan to have it serviced by the factory, then it doesn't matter.

Like 2
Does it include the original bracelet or watch only? If it didn't have the serial problem and comes with a bracelet, with the service and condition (beautiful deep blue bezel) you'd have had a solid deal.

As it is, personally I wouldn't have bought it. I'd always be bothered by the polished lug and scratched up movement. Worth considering is resale, as if you ever get bored of it and want to sell, you'll need to explain the missing serials.

As for the seller, someone honest would have mentioned the missing serials and adjusted the price accordingly. It's easy to miss something you don't even expect. I personally think it's a big deal and would complain to the seller.
It did include the bracelet. But other than the missing serial, the case/lug doesn't really look like it's been polished, or does it?

Were there pictures? Did you look at them carefully?
There were pictures but not of the movement, and I didn't realize that the lug should have the serial. I guess now I know that. And that I trusted the seller (a professional dealer on C24) too much when they said "all original"...

Yeah, I definitely think it should have been mentioned in the listing. And think you should mention who the dealer here (to warn potential buyers). But, it's up to you.

Most reputable dealers have something in the description around the lines of "serial numbers are blurred in photos, but are fully present".
Edited:

Like 1
Yeah, I definitely think it should have been mentioned in the listing. And think you should mention who the dealer here (to warn potential buyers). Buy, it's up to you.

Most reputable dealers have something in the description around the lines of "serial numbers are blurred in photos, but are fully present".
Ok, so the dealer has offered to take the watch back or provide a $250 refund, so for now I think I will refrain from mentioning publicly who they are since they are handling the issue adequately in my opinion. But feel free to message me privately if you want to ask.

That said, I'm tempted to take the $250 (which would price it at $2,200). I know $ is always a personal decision, but what do folks think who own this watch? (Or who are in the market @GuiltyGear)?

Like 1