Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 7, 2016

I have seen a number of posts claiming "Omega Speedmaster" is one of the more popular search terms on eBAY. I am guessing this might true if the search is limited to a specific category. Can anyone post a reference to corroborate this information or better yet, a research tool to validate?
    Thanks!

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 7, 2016

::popcorn::
    Curious too..

3. wsfarrell Sep 7, 2016

I can't answer the question directly. However, there is a site called watchcount.com that lets you put in keywords like "omega speedmaster" and then shows you all the results sorted by most watchers to fewest watchers. At the moment, the most watchers is for a 1967 145.012 with 240 people watching.

I know that people "watch" an auction for various reasons, good and bad, but I think this is a decent way of finding out what's getting a lot of eyeballs on eBay.

gemini4 likes this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Sep 7, 2016

And I thought the thread was about getting deals on ebay for items that were wrongly spelled.. like the thread title. Seriously.

Foo2rama and Traveler like this.
  5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 7, 2016

Well, if I had any "secret" search terms I sure as hell would not post them on a watch forum...:cool:

Edited Sep 7, 2016
    Archer and Darlinboy like this.
  6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 7, 2016

This is an interesting tool, but it still does not resolve the claim of "Omega Speedmaster" being one of the top search terms on eBAY.
    Just as an example, the top several dozen items in the "Jewelry,Watch" category are being watch by several thousand people. The total of items being watched that were retrieved by the term "Omega Speedmaster" probably total a couple of thousand.

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 7, 2016

Here are the results from a "top eBAY search" query I ran using watchcount.com
    I searched the wristwatches category and the results can be seen below. At the time of the search (September 7th, 2016 18:18 EST) "Omega Speedmaster" was only ranked at 23. Thats above "fossil" but below "invicta mens watch" :p

grab2.jpg

Edited Sep 7, 2016
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 7, 2016

Sounds about right. After all we are talking about the general population here, not the fantasy WISWorld where Michael Kors and Invicta exist mainly in the pantheon of darkness.

Other differences between the GP world and the WISWorld might be a fun exercise in contrasts.

9. alam Sep 7, 2016

::popcorn::
    [\faking] oh my gad! Rolex Sub is number 4, while the closest Omega is number 13! oh my gad!!! Speedmaster shows up at number 23!!!! no! it can't be real!!!! aaaaahhhhhgggg! [\faking]

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 7, 2016

I'm skeptical that speedies are among the highest ranking search terms on ebay. Have you seen all the stuff for sale there?
    ::stirthepot::

Joe K. likes this.
  11. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 7, 2016

Seems the most searched term is "Playstation 4". Hard to imagine there are more people interested in that than in vintage chronographs!

12. WatchVaultNYC Sep 7, 2016

PS4, iphone, all that niche stuff can't be more popular than Speedmasters

abrod520 and oddboy like this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 7, 2016

The secret term...is no term at all!