Forums Latest Members

Sent watch to be serviced... still have all the same problems

1. Perrier May 31, 2016

I sent my vintage Rolex for a servicing. It's very old, perhaps 60 years.

I wanted the dial to have a light cleaning, and the winding is very tight. I need to use a rag and a bit of force to fully wind it. If I don't try to wind it this way, I can get around three winds before it becomes too hard to wind (that's a few hours of power).

They had the watch for around two weeks. I have it back now. The dial is the exact same (they say they tried to clean it) and the winding is the exact same.

How likely is it I've been scammed? It seems like they did nothing with the watch.

They are a well known, small servicing centre in Asia.

2. Canuck Jun 1, 2016

If they felt they were not going to be able to do a repair that they could guarantee, they had no business undertaking the repair! If they had told you there would be NO GUARANTEE on the repair because of the condition of the watch, they should have been up front with you and told you the repair was being done at your risk! Are you able to contact them directly, or are you dealing through the mail? I feel the watch should go back to them for it to be put right. Don't expect miracles on deteriorated dial finish! The harder you try to solve a problem like that, it seems to worse the dial looks! Rolex watches don't last forever!

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 1, 2016

Hmm, was this service centre in Hong Kong by any chance? Someone with a very good reputation for restoring rolex bracelets?

littlesheep81 and Spacefruit like this.
  4. Perrier Jun 1, 2016

No, a different place...

5. Jonatan Jun 1, 2016

meanwhile-in-canada-23-photos-10.gif
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 1, 2016

Grapes! Great gif!

Jonatan likes this.
  7. gostang9 Jun 5, 2016

I wonder how many people outside of Canada know him? Certainly every true Canadian does...

8. wsfarrell Jun 5, 2016

He's a stranger to me.

9. gostang9 Jun 5, 2016

Don Cherry "Grapes" is a very well known hockey and tv personality in Canada. He coached the Boston Bruins NHL Hockey team for 5 seasons and for many years has hosted a popular sports segment called "Coaches Corner". It airs during nationally televised NHL hockey games that many if not most Canadians watch frequently. He's very outspoken and not afraid go against the typical polished stereotypical tv personality. He is also known for wearing extremely flamboyant suits that no common person would ever wear.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cherry

10. Canuck Jun 5, 2016

A bit off topic. Cherry was fired by Boston after which he coached the mow defunct Colrado Rockies.

11. proximal Jun 5, 2016

Not to mention he's a terrible piano player.

gostang9 and Archer like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2016

That piano video was great. For those who haven't seen some of his jacket's before, here is a small sampling to give you an idea of just how loud the man can be in appearance, in addition to what comes out of his mouth...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gostang9 likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 6, 2016

Forget the jackets, what's up with those "Goodfellas" collars on the shirts?
    gatorcpa

14. gostang9 Jun 6, 2016

"... When he was here... Wit Tarawnna..."

The man can talk! Thanks for sharing the piano clip - I got a great laugh!