Forums Latest Members

Sensation or Titanic? Did I find a Mitsukoshi Panda Dial?

1. joerg Jan 5, 2016

hi all. Need help here. I am able to buy the following watch tomorrow face to face. The watch is declared as a Speedmaster Professional Mitsukoshi Panda Dial.
    The front seems ok, all silver hands, white dial.
    The back says nothing about limitation (300 pcs). They have the box but no papers. It seems to be a reliable seller.

How can I proof that this is the Japan Version and not only a regular Speedmaster with the panda dial and silver hands?
    What would be a reasonable price if its all original?

Thx so much. Here in my timezone 13 hours are left for the final decision.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. repoman Jan 5, 2016

The best way is with papers, which would verify this was from the Mitsukoshi store. Assuming the seller doesn't have that (and I would ask why, get more history on the piece), next would be serial #... MWO suggests it should be in the range 77.08x.xxx, but this is not absolute. Next would be an Extract of the Archives from Omega, which should show it is 2003 from Japan.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Mitsukoshi without papers. IMHO, certain LE's (not all) really need papers to have the minimum necessary provenance to justify paying a premium over a std moonwatch. Good luck.

Edited Jan 5, 2016
    gekkoboy21 and ras47 like this.
  3. joerg Jan 5, 2016

Thanks for your reply. The watch comes on a very generic leather strap. Thats ok, may be someone sold the steel bracelet, what I personally do sometimes with the later steel bracelets too.
    The serial is 77038175. Could match.

Could an AD in town proof it in any way?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2016

A lot of Mitsukoshi dials out there, you need to be careful and sure, or pay only standard fare for that Speedy.

blubarb likes this.
  5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2016

So many 3570.50 (Std Speedy Pro's) have been modded with a white dial. No papers with this one is a no for me!

"Jack.... Jack.... Don't ever let go Jack"

Neeeeearrrrr Farrrrrr where ever you are!!

Sorry got in to the moment then!

Baz9614, Tritium and joerg like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 5, 2016

Yeah, what they said. I wouldn't buy one of these (nor a racing dial speedy) without some definitive proof that it was the real deal.

...selling down the road might be harder as well should you ever decide to part with it.

blubarb likes this.
  7. joerg Jan 5, 2016

Yes, you are all right. I will tell it to the seller that he has to bring papers, at least from Omega archives

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2016

These were only sold by the Mitsukoshi department store and for me the only thing that would make me buy one is the card stamped by them or showing the correct ref 3570.31.

blubarb and joerg like this.
  9. yinzerniner Jan 5, 2016

Just the fact that it doesn't come with the original bracelet is a no-go in terms of it being an authentic Mitsukoshi.
    You can also try to contact some watchmakers with access to the Omega extranet (such as @Archer ) and a serial number check might verify the authenticity, but I'm not sure if the extranet will give the exact model information on Limited Editions.
    Also, you stated the the watch was described as "Speedmaster Professional Mitsukoshi Panda Dial," NOT a "Speedmaster Professional Mitsukoshi Limited Edition." So just by the seller's own words it's NOT one of the original 300 made for the department store.
    All roads lead to aftermarket.

joerg likes this.
  10. joerg Jan 5, 2016

Thanks for navigating me, I see the ice-block coming.

I told the seller to give him 2k without papers and if papers say LE Mitsukoshi afterwards, would give him more ;-)

11. shoota70 Jan 7, 2016

I always advise to go with the Apollo 11 35th. IMO, a better more "speedmaster" version, and easily sourced with B+P.

cicindela likes this.
  12. joerg Apr 25, 2017

Hi all. Still looking for a Speedmaster with silver dial and not willing to spend my budget since I have to pay for my SpeedyTuesday sooner or later.

What do you think about that one? Of course its a normal 145.022 with white gold dial and case back is open and bracelet is not matching a 1969 Speedy.

So: do you like dial and hands? Just optically? I would put a nice leather strap on it. Thanks for your opinions!

IMG_5800.PNG
  13. Perseus Apr 25, 2017

That crystal looks like sapphire. Wasn't the original hesalite?