Forums Latest Members

Sending a radium dial watch internationally - advice please

1. blubarb Dec 5, 2018

Hi all

Has anyone any experience sending a watch with a radium dial across international borders?

Not sure what rules/laws might be attached to shipping a radium dial and I certainly don't want to get it wrong and then have the watched stopped at the border and worse confiscated? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Cheer
    J

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 5, 2018

I've done it. No special marking on the packaging, no problems with the watch getting to where I was going.

Now that you mention it though, I don't know if there are laws about this.

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 5, 2018

The chances that a radium watch might be confiscated by customs are infinitesimal, not because there aren't laws relating to the substance, but because it could only happen if the parcel were opened for inspection for some other reason, and then a detector employed.

I've sent dozens, but more to the point, has anyone ever heard even a single, anecdotal claim of confiscation?

4. Cuttysark Dec 5, 2018

I've sent some radium dial. I had no problems.

5. Lucasssssss Dec 5, 2018

I have sent radium watches internationally and never had a problem. But I was interested in this question and did a little digging. The first place I went to was Royal Mail. Which states the following are prohibited: "Radioactive materials and samples that are classified as radioactive using Table 2-12 of the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions e.g. fissile material (uranium 235, etc), radioactive waste material, thorium or uranium ores and luminous dials from aircraft."

The most recent ICAO instructions I could find are here: http://www.ubak.gov.tr/BLSM_WIYS/TMKDG/tr/doc/20170130_112447_64574_1_64.pdf with table 2-12 on page 113 of that pdf. According to the Health Physics Society, radium used for illumination was radium-226. The above table indicates the following:

unspecified.png

However, I have no idea what this means, as physics was not my forte at school. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of radioactive decay could take it from here?

valkyrie_rider and Pun like this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 5, 2018

Bq = becquerels

Bq/g = becquerels/gram

Not sure about how they are measuring.

When watches are measured with devices, the radiation emitted is typically measured in sieverts or microsieverts. Sieverts are a measure of exposure; that is, damage done by radiation. Becquerels are a measure of radioactivity of a particulate.

I suspect that vintage watches would fall well under the cutoff, and be exempt, but am not certain.

Edited Dec 5, 2018
    slique12 likes this.
  7. trash_gordon Dec 5, 2018

Never had problems with sending radium dial watches. More problems with sending attached crocostrap.

blubarb, JimJupiter, slique12 and 2 others like this.
  8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 5, 2018

This is the truth...:(

Lucasssssss, watchyouwant and Larry S like this.